starting strength gym

Thread: Power Clean form check

Default Power Clean form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here is a video of my first set of power cleans. Using small plates wasn't ideal but it's all I have right now for the weight I'm at. Do I need to work on getting my elbows higher/more forward? Thanks.

Shared album - Joseph Bodwell - Google Photos

Quote Originally Posted by JBodwell View Post
    Here is a video of my first set of power cleans. Using small plates wasn't ideal but it's all I have right now for the weight I'm at. Do I need to work on getting my elbows higher/more forward? Thanks.

Shared album - Joseph Bodwell - Google Photos
    I would go back and learn the three PC positions before attempting anything else.

Power Clean Series Part 1 - Learning the Three Positions | Mark Rippetoe

Thanks for replying. What about my form makes you say that?

Doesn't seem like you're setting your back hard enough like in the deadlift. Might get easier once you get plates of the right height. Don't forget the 4 step deadlift setup prior to your pull. Also seems like your elbows may be a bit too low on the catch and your feet may not be landing in the right spot. It's hard to tell from this angle though.

Your elbows are pointing at the floor in the rack position.

Hi Joseph,

using small plates throws everything off from the start, but let me focus on the finish, because you do something that I've seen other people do, a sort of not-too-uncommon misconception that seems to be peculiar to this lift.

A correct racking position requires elbows high, and a humerus almost parallel to the floor.
    This in turn forces the torso to be quite perpendicular to the floor, but slight inclined forward.
    Which, in turn, requires the line between legs and torso to be broken at the hips.
    Think ten inches from standing up from a front squat, and you get the idea.

The position you have is a sort of opposite.
    Legs and torso are on the same line, the elbows are down the side of the torso (of course they are, or you would fall backwards), and the whole caboodle is inclined slightly backwards, limbo-style.

This is something you can correct even without changing anything else in your lift (starting with the plates): focus on a proper racking position. Force yourself to slam those elbows high and hard, and everything else will follow naturally.

Hope this helps,

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will focus on getting my elbows up and into a better rack position to start.