starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check 305x5 / Tendinitis

Default Squat Check 305x5 / Tendinitis

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

Squat set of 305x5. Anything you can see here that might be causing elbow and forearm tendinitis? Or am I simply cursed at this point?

Anything else that I can fix as well?

Squat 305x5 - YouTube

Thanks in advance for any help. YouTube is excellent at not allowing us to upload these sets as regular videos. The "short" is not as helpful.

One reps 1, 2, and 5 you lifted your chest instead of staying in the hips. But that's not the problem with your elbows and wrists. I think you should take a little softer grip in the bar. Grip tightness is not what secures the bar in a squat, it's the position of the forearms and the hands behind the bar, trapping it in place. Stop squeezing so hard and see if that helps.

Where does the bar sit when you do presses? Somewhere in line with your mouth?

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Where does the bar sit when you do presses? Somewhere in line with your mouth?
    I would say so, yes. I get elbow and forearm pain after presses too, but figured pain was caused by the squat.

You have long forearms. Andrew wrote a great article about our problem: Long Forearms in the Squat | Andrew Lewis
    Since you are having tendinitis issues, you will have to experiment with the grip. One thing that helps me is to do my warmups up to the last single with thumbs around the bar, and switch to thumbs over during the last warmup and for my work sets. It helps to stretch the shoulders and allows the forearms to raise up enough to make the shelf.

You have long forearms. Andrew wrote a great article about our problem: Long Forearms in the Squat | Andrew Lewis
    Since you are having tendinitis issues, you will have to experiment with the grip. One thing that helps me is to do my warmups up to the last single with thumbs around the bar, and switch to thumbs over during the last warmup and for my work sets. It helps to stretch the shoulders and allows the forearms to raise up enough to make the shelf.
    Are you suggesting for me to press 155 lbs over my head 15 times next workout with a thumbless grip?

I don't understand.

I don't understand.

Ahh, thought you were talking press grip, but you meant squat. Got it, I'll experiment with that. Thanks.

starting strength coach development program
    Hahaha squat grip, yes, I see that I wasn't totally clear. I asked where the bar sits during the press because this is a good way to tell if you got long forearms. Check out Andrew's photos in the article.