starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Knee Slide Check

Default Squat Knee Slide Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,

Here's my 3rd set of squats at 130kg/286lbs: 22 July 2022 Squat 130kg 3x5 (3rd set) - YouTube

I've been trying to pay special attention to keeping my knees consistently out and checking knee slide, while making sure to hit depth.

You're still getting some knee slight. Get your knees out early and freeze them there.

Also, slow down on the descent. That will help with the knee control too.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    You're still getting some knee slight. Get your knees out early and freeze them there.

Thanks, coach! I really appreciate the reply. I did some squats today at 135kg/298lbs and tried to focus on what you said: 24 July 2022 Squat 135kg 3x5 (3rd set) - YouTube

On my last set, I dive bombed somewhat on the 1st rep but made an effort to control the descent a little better on the subsequent reps. Would I be correct in saying that reps 1 and 5 were the problem reps while 2-4 were good?

These are a little better, but you still need to get your knees forward earlier. You're still breaking at the hips first and then the knees. You may have to think "knees first" even though it's not mechanically accurate.

And yeah, stop dive bombing it. Squeeze your abs tight to get everything tight and slow it down.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

These are a little better, but you still need to get your knees forward earlier. You're still breaking at the hips first and then the knees. You may have to think "knees first" even though it's not mechanically accurate.
    Understood. Thank you very much for your time!

You're welcome. Good luck.

Once the knees are 'frozen' do the hips continue moving backwards or do they just descend?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by pieza kake View Post
    Once the knees are 'frozen' do the hips continue moving backwards or do they just descend?
    Take a pencil and move it around in the air like your thigh with the knee position frozen. What happens?