starting strength gym

Thread: Power snatch and hook grip

Default Power snatch and hook grip

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Is it possible and advisable to use the hook grip when I do the power snatch? I implement this type of grip when doing the deadlift and power clean, but I've tried it with the power snatch. I don't feel as confident as the other two lifts because of the position away from the hands.

PS: I do the power snatch only with the bar to introduce me in technique because I find it interesting to master it, but I don't put plates on it because it's not part of my program. I already do in it the power clean.

Yes. You should hookgrip with the snatch. Maybe you're not confident with it, because you don't progress it - if you're just using the empty bar.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thank you for your answer, Coach Andrew.

My feeling when doing the power snatch with the hook grip is that I don't feel that the fingers involved in it are capable of completely surrounding the bar so that it is fixed and controlled on the hands without it being an effort when I go to lift it off the ground.

I know there are power snatch videos on the YT channel from years ago, but I don't think there are any talking about the hook grip in the power snatch. It would be interesting if you did some in the form of a tip to know more about it.

On the other hand, I wanted to know the following. Is there any possibility of introducing the power snatch in the novice linear progression in order to progress in load like the other lifts, but without stopping the power clean?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo View Post

My feeling when doing the power snatch with the hook grip is that I don't feel that the fingers involved in it are capable of completely surrounding the bar so that it is fixed and controlled on the hands without it being an effort when I go to lift it off the ground.

I know there are power snatch videos on the YT channel from years ago, but I don't think there are any talking about the hook grip in the power snatch. It would be interesting if you did some in the form of a tip to know more about it.
    Can you show us a video of you taking a hook grip in the snatch? A low rear angle would be helpful. I'm guessing you're just too concerned with getting your entire hand wrapped around the bar, which you don't need to do. When I hook grip the snatch (in part because my hands are small) I basically only really get a good grip with the thumb, pointer finger, and middle finger.

On the other hand, I wanted to know the following. Is there any possibility of introducing the power snatch in the novice linear progression in order to progress in load like the other lifts, but without stopping the power clean?
    I have not tried this, but I supposed you could alternate the power clean and power snatch. I wouldn't bother though. Just pick one and then when you're pulls progress weekly, use your power cleans as medium day and power snatches as light day.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

your first two fingers and thumb will be doing nearly all the work with the snatch; the pinky and ring fingers won't be doing jack squat.

you just have to get used to the idea of that; I can't imagine doing it (snatching ... power or otherwise) any other way.

also, I hope you are using chalk; and what diameter bar do you have?

starting strength coach development program
    Hello Farmer,
    I've been practicing the power snatch technique at the end of sessions these last few days, and I feel like I'm doing this lift more easily. I added a couple of plates to bar: one day of 1.25 kg and the other of 2.5 kg, and it even seemed easier to do the hook grip. I have also found that the thumb should be placed between the index and middle fingers for the hook grip to be most effective when doing this lift. Not behind those fingers like deadlifts and power cleans.

I've been thinking about it and maybe one possibility could be to substitute the bench press for the power snatch. Like Rip, if I have to choose between the press and bench press, I prefer the first because it works more in harmony and balance the body, especially the upper body. I know that there is a transfer in strength gains between both exercises and the feeling of lifting a lot of weight leaning on a bench increases your self-esteem a lot. But for example, during confinement the only exercise that I could not do at home of all the ones in the program (including chin-ups) was the bench press. I did press in all workouts. It didn't interfere with my progress on the other lifts at all and I never missed it.

Hello Coach Andrew,
    I'm guessing you're just too concerned with getting your entire hand wrapped around the bar, which you don't need to do. When I hook grip the snatch (in part because my hands are small) I basically only really get a good grip with the thumb, pointer finger, and middle finger
    Yeah, initially I was trying to get my whole hand around the bar, just like in the deadlift and power clean. I've been practicing the power snatch technique at the end of sessions these last few days, and I feel like I'm doing this lift more confortable. I added a couple of plates to the bar: one day of 1.25 kg and the other of 2.5 kg, and it even seemed easier to do the hook grip. I have also found that the thumb should be placed between the index and middle fingers for the hook grip to be most effective when doing this lift. Not behind those fingers like deadlifts and power cleans.

I have not tried this, but I supposed you could alternate the power clean and power snatch. I wouldn't bother though. Just pick one and then when you're pulls progress weekly, use your power cleans as medium day and power snatches as light day.
    Yes, it could be an idea to wait for the intermediate level, which I think I'm close to. However, being athletic performance my main focus on strength training, I don't know if it makes sense to go into a higher program. I practice martial arts and it is not my goal to compete to lift more weight like a powerlifter. On the one hand I think that the strength levels I have are enough for me and I don't know if it would make sense to start a program that requires more sacrifice or just continue doing the novice linear progression to maintain my strength levels.
    I've been thinking about it and maybe one possibility could be to substitute the bench press for the power snatch. Like Rip, if I have to choose between the press and bench press, I prefer the first because it works more in harmony and balance the body, especially the upper body. I know that there is a transfer in strength gains between both exercises and the feeling of lifting a lot of weight leaning on a bench increases your self-esteem a lot. But for example, during confinement the only exercise that I could not do at home of all the ones in the program (including chin-ups) was the bench press. I did press in all workouts. It didn't interfere with my progress on the other lifts at all and I never missed it.