starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check - 5th set 295 lbs

Default Squat Form Check - 5th set 295 lbs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Greetings from the bottom 3%,

After studying PPST3e, I am planning to re-read/study the blue book chapter on the squat, because I don't understand the squat enough to keep improving my technique, and it's my hardest lift.

Someone said I have knee slide, and that appears to be the case. I am hoping a SSC can point out what the issues are so I can look them up, study them, and understand them mechanically.

I am also strongly considering hiring an online SSC. While I am the "do-it myself" type, I am about to take on a full-time job + BJJ + learning to ski.

YouTube clip (sorry it's a short; don't have control over unless I film horizontally. Will starting doing so from now on).

These look pretty good to me.

Thanks. Maybe not bottom 3% after all.

Quote Originally Posted by John Fioravanti View Post
    Thanks. Maybe not bottom 3% after all.
    Can I ask why you're doing 5 sets?

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Can I ask why you're doing 5 sets?
    Sure, I’ve been running a cycle of Texas method. That’s my Monday weight.

Sure, I’ve been running a cycle of Texas method. That’s my Monday weight.
    I've seen you've already posted on the forum about wanting to change your programming.
    Listen to the advice given to you by Rip and others on those threads.
    4 months ago you were squatting 300lbs, today you are squatting 300lbs. You are keeping your numbers artificially low.
    Don't focus on the number, don't focus too much on how you feel (Rip asked you about RPE, remember?), just eat a lot, rest, and add 5 pounds. Don't be scared. These squats are light weight for you. Don't try to anticipate your transition to intermediate.

Just as a reference, I'm 26, 202lbs, 5"10', my squat is 335lbs for 3 sets of 5. I still got weeks of LP in front of me at least.
    Record your squats. When you take 5 seconds to come out the bottom of a 5th rep, you know it's heavy.

I've seen you've already posted on the forum about wanting to change your programming.
    Listen to the advice given to you by Rip and others on those threads.
    4 months ago you were squatting 300lbs, today you are squatting 300lbs. You are keeping your numbers artificially low.
    Don't focus on the number, don't focus too much on how you feel (Rip asked you about RPE, remember?), just eat a lot, rest, and add 5 pounds. Don't be scared. These squats are light weight for you. Don't try to anticipate your transition to intermediate.

Just as a reference, I'm 26, 202lbs, 5"10', my squat is 335lbs for 3 sets of 5. I still got weeks of LP in front of me at least.
    Record your squats. When you take 5 seconds to come out the bottom of a 5th rep, you know it's heavy.
    Francesco, you piece of shit, no one likes a person who gives good critical advice, hahaha.

Look, man, you're probably right. On the one hand, I really butted my head against the wall trying to get my 3x5s anything past 315 - 340 lbs. I really gave it an honest effort, and had my justifications: "maybe I'm just not a good squatter since I'm tall" or "maybe I'm just not explosive."

On the other hand, maybe those are just excuses. After reading PPST3e over the past month for the ~second time, I've realized how much a fucked up my squat programming and how much time I wasted over the past 3 months.

I am moving across the country next week to altitude . It'll take me a week or two to get back into a gym and a few more to adapt to 9300 feet. In the meantime, I will be starting online coaching with a Starting Strength coach. I will bring this up to him/her.

Thank you

Francesco, you piece of shit, no one likes a person who gives good critical advice, hahaha.

Look, man, you're probably right. On the one hand, I really butted my head against the wall trying to get my 3x5s anything past 315 - 340 lbs. I really gave it an honest effort, and had my justifications: "maybe I'm just not a good squatter since I'm tall" or "maybe I'm just not explosive."

On the other hand, maybe those are just excuses. After reading PPST3e over the past month for the ~second time, I've realized how much a fucked up my squat programming and how much time I wasted over the past 3 months.

I am moving across the country next week to altitude . It'll take me a week or two to get back into a gym and a few more to adapt to 9300 feet. In the meantime, I will be starting online coaching with a Starting Strength coach. I will bring this up to him/her.

Thank you
    Your SSC will solve everything they can, good choice!
    We all make mistakes. My NLP is taking 2 years to finish between lay-offs, laziness, technique errors and so on. I see the positive side, which is experience. I know what NOT to do, not just because Rip told me but because I made the mistakes, unfortunately this seems to be necessary for most people. And I'm still learning of course.
    Good luck on your Rocky 4 training!

Unfortunately this seems to be necessary for most people.
    Well, most people don't have access to an SSC.
    My experience has been similar. Every time I've went to get coaching my numbers have gone up.
    I believe it to be a combination of increased confidence as well as improved technique.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Thomas View Post
    Well, most people don't have access to an SSC.
    My experience has been similar. Every time I've went to get coaching my numbers have gone up.
    I believe it to be a combination of increased confidence as well as improved technique.
    Everybody can get occasional access to an SSC. I understand that regular, weekly coaching might be financially prohibitive for some people. There are many people who could afford it if they got their priorities straightened out but who claim they can't afford it. However, there are also many people from whom it's a financial non-starter. But even then an online consult once every few months is approachable for the vast majority of people in the US.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast