starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

I am coming back after 14 months of no lifting, and my form/technique - which I had worked on with some help from this community - feels very shaky/broken at the moment. I am aware this service is provided free of charge out of goodwill, and I appreciate your time and don't want to take this for granted, so I will limit my posting until I get to less-embarrassing numbers. But for now, I could really use a bit of feedback on my squat.

1. I seem to be leading with my head in this 3rd set. I caught the issue in videos couple days back and tried to consciously keep it still after driving with my hips. But I see this happen again and again in the last set.

2. Are my knees shooting back too much on the way up or is this okay?

I will do better.

1. Keep your head down as you've noticed
    2. These are too deep. Cut 2-3 inches off
    3. Your knees are not staying over your toes, so you either need to shove them out harder or point the toes in a bit more
    4. Grip is too wide

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    1. Keep your head down as you've noticed
    2. These are too deep. Cut 2-3 inches off
    3. Your knees are not staying over your toes, so you either need to shove them out harder or point the toes in a bit more
    4. Grip is too wide
    ...I may be wrong on this but is it also the case that he is lifting his chest a hair too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Z View Post
    ...I may be wrong on this but is it also the case that he is lifting his chest a hair too soon?
    Yes, he is.

Okay, will work on those, thanks Ryan!

Hi Mark, thanks! How bad is it? Maybe it is my head that's pulling up my chest, I am not sure. But I keep in mind to "stay in the hips" at all times. I do drive with the hip, so not sure what is causing me to lift my chest early.

It's bad enough that Steven saw it. You're thinking about standing up, and all the previous squat instruction you've had. I can fix it in 5 reps, but I'm not there.

you're looking up to go up,
    don't do that,
    stare at the laser cut logo on that lower mount,
    don't take your eyes off it till you're reracking the bar,
    you're looking up, and raising your chest up,

Dear Mark, and all,

I think I have just managed to fuck up my right elbow and shoulder over the last few sessions. When I try to do the squat, my elbow starts to hurt, then the shoulder starts to hurt. As I progress through the sets, the last set becomes very painful that I lose all focus from bracing and controlling the weight. My breaks become longer and longer, and I need to massage my shoulder and elbow area to bring the pain down before I can do the next set.

You can see that my SET 1 started off with much better form/technique (head wasn't popping up as in the original post) compared to my last set which is just garbage. In SET 3, all the bad habits came back as I lost focus due to the pain.

When I moved to the bench press, the bar collapsed on my right side as I just couldn't hold up any weight. I went home and didn't do any DLs. Next day I came in and tried doing DLs first because I didn't want the pain from the squats to keep me from doing the DLs. But as I warmed up, the pain started to come back, and I couldn't do more than 3 reps in my main set. My arm is now absolutely fucked. My form is ruined for some other reason and I can't pull 245lbs for a set of 5. I was pulling 270lbs last year and was so close to getting to 315, damn I am just so frustrated now.

I can't rehab my elbow using Mark's method of doing chin-ups, because I can't do chin-ups or pull-ups. What should I do?

I've never had any injury from Squats or DLs, and the worse thing is I remember tweaking something in my elbow a week back doing triceps-extensions with a 40lbs dumbbell behind the neck. I didn't have access to my lifting gym and so had to go to the small office gym where I did this to myself.

Without a diagnosis, what do you propose to rehab?

starting strength coach development program
    You're right Mark, I don't know the diagnosis. I can't get to a SSC near me to get my form fixed either (not in the US). Forgive me, I am just really confused and frustrated; I just got back to lifting and a series of form breakdowns and this injury have just ruined my week. Any advice will be great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast