starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat form check 63 yo master redux

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Intricate35 View Post
    Hey team!

Can someone please check out this vid of my father squatting 200 lbs (161 BW soaking wet) and offer some advice to get his forward lean fixed? This is his form on the final set.

He's done well on LP despite giving me every excuse why he can't eat enough to gain weight (can't digest it, keeps him up at night). We've had to institute a light day Wednesdays and reset his squat once thus far. His other lifts are all progressing fine with his pressing movements artificially high due to a lifetime of squat neglect (current bench is 175, 3x5).

He says he feels fine, but his lean looks excessive. It's got me worried about him injuring his back. You can see halfway up he has to really strain to get the bar path in line to get upward momentum again. I've tried all the queues to keep him from leaning so far (chest up!), but nothing seems to work. His lean is nowhere near this excessive on warm-up weights (under 170 lbs). I've included a warm-up at 115 lbs for comparison.

Any help would be appreciated!

200 lbs progression
    200 lbs form check - YouTube

Warm-ups 115 lbs.
    August 2, 2022 - YouTube
    May I suggest buying your dad a 3" belt?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Squat form check 63 yo master redux

Why do I take the time to respond to questions when I am ignored? If you don't like the way we teach the squat, post on a different board that will agree with you.
    Mark,

Definitely not ignoring you. It's just either I'm misunderstanding the literature, or the video is not representing what's happening. I had him read your linked article "The Master Cue." Nowhere in the literature have I seen that the back angle should be near horizontal halfway back up the movement and that the bar path should move forward of the center. I actually plugged his squat into one of the bar path apps and it's estimating he's getting 2-3 inches out of line. This is creating a moment arm that is his sticking point on almost every rep.

Am I getting something wrong here?

Quote Originally Posted by Intricate35 View Post
    I actually plugged his squat into one of the bar path apps and it's estimating he's getting 2-3 inches out of line. This is creating a moment arm that is his sticking point on almost every rep.
    And what is the weight on the bar vs his bodyweight??? Read the fucking article. And his back is nowhere near horizontal.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    May I suggest buying your dad a 3" belt?
    He has a very nice 3-inch from Bob's belts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12