starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is a video of me squatting on my first Starting Strength workout. I'm 5'5", 165 lbs, squatting 135 on my first set of five.

My apologies for the cinematography; I hadn't joined the forum when the video was taken so I didn't know which angle would be best.

A little worried about depth on these but it's not obvious to me from the video. One other thing that worries me is that I feel a slight forward pitch when rising. A couple times I felt like I was pushing from the ball of my left foot.

Here it is.

P.S. If I have further squat form checks should I keep posting in this thread or make new threads?

There appears to be a timing issue in these squats where your hips push back first and then your knees bend and your back angle starts to change. All three joints need to initiate at once on both the descent and ascent. Depth seems to be fine. In fact it looks like you hit depth, pause, and then go a few more inches just to be sure? As far as your other comments (such as pushing off the ball of your left foot), there's no way to be sure, but initiating the movement correctly is likely to change/fix challenges that you have later on so I don't think it makes sense to delve into secondary items.

I am not an SSC just a guy who lifts weights and once in a while comments on here. Hopefully you get more advice from smarter people.

Post a video taken from a 45° rear angle. It may be that the bar is too high on your back and your stance is too narrow.

Default Squat Form Check

Here is another squat form check. This is my second starting strength workout.
    Complaints: slight left wrist pain after squatting, slight feeling of tipping forward on ascent (feels like pushing from ball of left foot), not sure if depth is sufficient.
    My first work set
    My second work set, with accidental sixth rep

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    Post a video taken from a 45° rear angle
    The most recent videos are as requested. I tried to make them a separate thread since I was so embarrassed by my OP in this thread, but moderation decided otherwise.

Widen stance by an inch, slow down, lean over, do not lift your chest on the way up. But lean over, you are almost upright.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakovos View Post
    Here is another squat form check. This is my second starting strength workout.
    Complaints: slight left wrist pain after squatting, slight feeling of tipping forward on ascent (feels like pushing from ball of left foot), not sure if depth is sufficient.
    My first work set
    My second work set, with accidental sixth rep
    The depth looks sufficient to me. Again, there are plenty of people on this board with way more coaching experience. I watched the videos before reading the text. My initial comment was that the lifts looked good to me but that the way you have your elbows cranked back might make them a little sore. I can't add anything to what you'll find if you search the forum for squatter's elbow.

These look significantly better than the first videos you posted in that there isn't a timing error anymore.

Don't dive-bomb the descent. Go slower. If your weight is shifting a bit forward, the solution is (easy enough to say) not to let your weight shift forward. I think you will be best served by pushing your hips back a little more. That doesn't mean that the hips should move first (which would bring back the timing error) but rather, just get them back a little further as you descend which should be relatively approachable since you are now going slower and have plenty of time to do that without having to rush the hips out of the gate so to speak.

starting strength coach development program
    I went back and tried to squat 155 on Saturday with the same form (I didn't have time to check the forum, so my form would have been the same as it was on Thursday). Nobody else was in the gym so I couldn't get video, but I hurt my left hip joint. The pain is still there but I am going to train as you recommended on Tuesday and see what happens. The hurt was worse on the warmup sets than on the heavy weight; I think maybe the heavy weight forced better form.

Thanks for your advice, we'll see how much of it I can put into practice effectively tomorrow.