starting strength gym

Thread: Help with the Squat

Default Help with the Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm struggling with the squat when i get above about 270 pounds. 35 year old, six foot 2, 250 lbs. I have come a long way, started around 100 pounds in the last year, had a really weak lower body from a chronic right knee issue which has improved. Tore my right ACL and had reconstruction in 2014 with a hamstring graft, so the hamstring and adductor on that side has always been weak. I never feel like I'm using the hamstrings to get a good rebound in the bottom of the squat, and they never feel fatigued.
    Also deal with some chronic golfer's elbow on both sides which isn't bothering me too much now but affects how closely I can grip the bar and stay tight in the upper back.

This is set one I did with a TUBOW this week (I know it isn't for worksets). 280 set 1 TUBOW - YouTube

Set two - I failed - the weight folded me over on set 5. Only time I've ever fallen this way but I do often stumble forward. I think the bar was too high on my back to start and rolled higher.
    280 set 2 fail - YouTube

Also including a set of 280 from last week (set one) which was succesful. 280 success last week - YouTube

I greatly appreciate any input and advice. I'm coming to Witchita Falls for the 3 day seminar in October, hoping to continue getting stronger and avoid injury until that time. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffaloguy View Post
    I'm struggling with the squat when i get above about 270 pounds. 35 year old, six foot 2, 250 lbs. I have come a long way, started around 100 pounds in the last year, had a really weak lower body from a chronic right knee issue which has improved. Tore my right ACL and had reconstruction in 2014 with a hamstring graft, so the hamstring and adductor on that side has always been weak. I never feel like I'm using the hamstrings to get a good rebound in the bottom of the squat, and they never feel fatigued.
    Also deal with some chronic golfer's elbow on both sides which isn't bothering me too much now but affects how closely I can grip the bar and stay tight in the upper back.

This is set one I did with a TUBOW this week (I know it isn't for worksets). 280 set 1 TUBOW - YouTube

Set two - I failed - the weight folded me over on set 5. Only time I've ever fallen this way but I do often stumble forward. I think the bar was too high on my back to start and rolled higher.
    280 set 2 fail - YouTube

Also including a set of 280 from last week (set one) which was succesful. 280 success last week - YouTube

I greatly appreciate any input and advice. I'm coming to Witchita Falls for the 3 day seminar in October, hoping to continue getting stronger and avoid injury until that time. Thank you.
    I believe you did not position the TUBOW correctly, otherwise it would've fallen over, because you are shifting the weight on your toes as you descend. The bar is also rolling up your back, which is what caused you to "fold" in your second video.
    Follow the instructions that you will be given here, go on Youtube and look up the SS videos on knee slide and bar position in the squat.
    You should be able to find the proper form, and learn a lot, once you do the seminar, good choice.

1st, Agree with Francesco on the Tubow being a less Tubow due to positioning. You need to load your hips. Feel the hips supporting the weight as they move back. Also, all elbow issues seem to be from squat grip. Watch every video and don't settle for any discomfort when backing out of the rack. The correct grip doesn't hurt.

2nd, not that I am an authority or know much at all but I read every post and Francesco has really refined and improved his commentary on both form and programming and I'm happy for him.

Thank you both for your feedback. I repeated the same weight today and didnt have the same grip/rolling issue but still dealing with some knee slide. I'll work to address it.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    2nd, not that I am an authority or know much at all but I read every post and Francesco has really refined and improved his commentary on both form and programming and I'm happy for him.
    He's good.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    He's good.
    Thank you both guys for the compliment, did not expect that!