starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check Before I Move On Up

Default Squat Form Check Before I Move On Up

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    220 3x5 is my all-time PR. I’ve wasted time, not been consistent with my training, and also let 225 (4 plates get in my head). I’ve been lifting for a little over 2 years and right now I’m focused on getting my squat up. I haven’t had a form check since I started and would appreciate anyone looking at this and letting me know things I need to work on before I proceed. I record myself and try to dissect things fairly regularly, but I feel like that is the blind leading the blind at times (as I likely don’t know what I don’t know). I included all 3 of my work sets along with a bit of me jabbering about my training history and programming choices. Thanks for any input.

220 Squat (3x5) Form Check - Starting Strength - YouTube

A few things:
    First: The narration makes it hard to focus on the lifting. For future videos its probably going to be more effective to type up your thoughts here if you want feedback as opposed to narration. Other than injury history your training history isn't terribly important relative to this.

Second - Stance: It looks like your stance is too narrow. Toe angle looks acceptable but may be a bit narrow.

Third - Grip: From these videos it actually looks like the bar may be too high up. Your upper back doesn't look TIGHT, it looks rounded from the start to finish of every rep. Your wrists are also in extension, you need to put some flexion into them and get them closer to neutral.

Fourth - Hips: Get your hips farther back and cut about 2 inches off of your depth. The top of the patella ought to be just above the hip crease.

I do not have my blue-book on hand but all of this is covered thoroughly in the squat chapter.
    If you can get into a training with a coach it would be worth your time. Sometimes no manner of self correcting is enough when you're focused on the weight on your back and you may NEED a coach to help you get into and maintain the proper position. Respectfully, you have wasted enough time in your training career if you are in your 40s/50s. Get into a session with a coach and help prevent any more of it.

Side note, I'm NOT an SSC, but have wasted plenty of time myself and I have more to waste than you (I'm 27). Getting in with a good coach is worth every moment.

Have you considered reading the blue book and doing a low bar squat?

Quote Originally Posted by Daltonar View Post
    A few things:
    First: The narration makes it hard to focus on the lifting. For future videos its probably going to be more effective to type up your thoughts here if you want feedback as opposed to narration. Other than injury history your training history isn't terribly important relative to this.

Second - Stance: It looks like your stance is too narrow. Toe angle looks acceptable but may be a bit narrow.

Third - Grip: From these videos it actually looks like the bar may be too high up. Your upper back doesn't look TIGHT, it looks rounded from the start to finish of every rep. Your wrists are also in extension, you need to put some flexion into them and get them closer to neutral.

Fourth - Hips: Get your hips farther back and cut about 2 inches off of your depth. The top of the patella ought to be just above the hip crease.

I do not have my blue-book on hand but all of this is covered thoroughly in the squat chapter.
    If you can get into a training with a coach it would be worth your time. Sometimes no manner of self correcting is enough when you're focused on the weight on your back and you may NEED a coach to help you get into and maintain the proper position. Respectfully, you have wasted enough time in your training career if you are in your 40s/50s. Get into a session with a coach and help prevent any more of it.

Side note, I'm NOT an SSC, but have wasted plenty of time myself and I have more to waste than you (I'm 27). Getting in with a good coach is worth every moment.
    I'd agree with all of that. I've read the blue book squat chapter several times and watched tons of videos but putting it into practice is hard (there is a lot going on in a squat...plus the weight). I've suspected the bar is too high on my back and have worked on correcting it. Some reps are fine, other reps almost turn into good mornings. I think that is my biggest problem right now (which is creating the other issues). I'll continue to work on it. Thanks for taking the time to give me pointers and feedback. It is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Have you considered reading the blue book and doing a low bar squat?
    You are not the first person who has said that to me.

I've read the squat chapter a few times and watched tons of videos. I've worked to get the bar lower on my back. I always let it ride back up because it is a more comfortable position for me. That said I'm pretty sure that is what is causing the major issues in my squat.

Translating knowledge into practice is hard because there is a lot going on in the squat (plus the weight).

Regardless, helpful to hear the feedback. It confirms what I was suspecting was an issue. I'll work on correcting it (again). Thanks for taking the time to review it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanorolls View Post
    Some reps are fine, other reps almost turn into good mornings. I think that is my biggest problem right now (which is creating the other issues).
    This is in fact your problem -- NONE of these reps turned into goodmornings, but you think they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is in fact your problem -- NONE of these reps turned into goodmornings, but you think they did.
    I'll get the bar lower and keep going!

I'd bet money that the people who worry about squats "turning into good mornings" have never actually done a good morning.

I notice his heels are lifting consistently through the bottom of the movement. What's causing this? Bar position too high causing him to get forward?

That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    I'd bet money that the people who worry about squats "turning into good mornings" have never actually done a good morning.

I notice his heels are lifting consistently through the bottom of the movement. What's causing this? Bar position too high causing him to get forward?
    I've never paid attention or noticed my heels coming off the ground before until this video. I've probably been doing it a long time and not looking for it. I'll get the bar lower on my back. It should help resolve a lot of my issues. Thanks for reviewing it and commenting.

starting strength coach development program
    Follow up Form Check - Starting Strength - YouTube

One more and I’ll leave you all alone. Today was my light squat day so perfect time to work on the recommendations you made.

Based on the prior feedback, I was focused on 1) getting the bar lower on my back, 2) keeping everything tight in my upper body, 3) keeping my wrist out of extension, and 4) keeping my heels on the floor. I think I accomplished all that.

Everything felt better to me movement-wise. The only thing that still feels uncomfortable is having the bar lower on my back. I think my arms need to be pulled in more to create the shelf so that it feels more secure. I pulled them in on the 2nd and 3rd set. But I have them in about as far in as I can shove them without it being painful (and without too much wrist extension). In the past when I’ve worked on my bar placement, I wind up carrying the weight on my arms and getting sore elbows. This is why I always wind up letting it ride back up higher (because it is more comfortable for me).

Having it lower on my back definitely makes everything seem to work better, but it feels weird/less comfortable. If it looks correct to you guys, I’ll keep at it and make it work. The belt felt weird/uncomfortable when I added it too and now it feels fine.

Thanks for all the input so far. It was helpful.

PS – From this angle, I feel like my knees might need to be shoved out further too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast