starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weighted Back Extension

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    It would appear Rip doesn't care how you do them or if you do them since those pages just talk about setting your back in the deadlift. I've personally never done them in this phase of LP. Just skip it I guess, since there's no info on sets/reps and how you'd perform it. Besides for most people putting your spine through a whole bunch of weighted flexion and extension might cause more trouble than it's worth, and dropping them shouldn't really change anything. Still think it's odd that's it's even in the gray book programming though.
    In my book it checks out.

IMG_20220902_092059388.jpg

As for me, I never did back extensions cause I don´t have a roman chair or the glute/ham bench. But in the book he said the how you do them: "at higher reps; 10 to 15 for three to five sets works best" (page 281, blue book),

Quote Originally Posted by Drone5 View Post
    Anyone can change their opinions as we all learn new things. though, you could have shortened the communication if you said so at the beginning. But that’s not the topic.
    I looked up the pages you suggested and they are as what you described. However, as you just admittedly said that you changed your opinion on this exercise, I assume this exercise is no longer in your program? If so, I am going to focus on the rest of exercises in your program: SQ, PR, BP, CU, PC, and DL.
    A public forum is not all about you, Drone5, or your preferences about reply length.

Assistance exercises are only useful to some people in particular contexts and always have to be tested by each lifter for benefit. They are not ever the focus of a strength program and you're messing up if you are distracted by particular examples used to illustrate approaches to progression.

I understand it’s an ancillary exercise therefore no needs to always include it in the program! Thanks. I’ll just skip this one.

starting strength coach development program
    There are options in the app to add weight to chins and back extensions but there is no obligation to use the option. Just set weight progression as zero and keep doing them at bodyweight as it says in the book. I would say the options to add weight to these movements in the app, are very specific to the individual lifter and not to be taken as the baseline.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12