Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uneven Bench Press

Default Uneven Bench Press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    BW: 220lbs
    Height: 5'10"

Doing the program for about 3.5 months now. I've posted before about a shoulder surgery I had (humerus fracture, torn rotator cuff from surgery to put in rod, all that fun stuff) last summer.

After following your advice and just sticking to the basics, I no longer have any shoulder pain doing anything (when I started I couldn't even do a chin up without my arm feeling like it was going to fall off, and it hurt like hell if I slept on it wrong).

When it comes to benching, I've been microloading (2 lb jumps) the past month or so. When it comes to that last rep in a set of 5, I've noticed that my left side (uninjured arm) is often a few inches "ahead" of my right side when trying to lock out the last rep.
    No pain, and I have yet to "fail" a rep this way, it just takes the right side a little bit longer to grind it out.

Would you be concerned? I'm assuming right side should catch up, but in the mean time, how worried should I be about hurting myself ? Current bench for 3*5 is 200lbs.
    Squat: 325
    DL: 360
    Press: 135

Appreciate everything!

Probably a little neurological deficit, that may or may not correct itself over time. If it was my shoulder, I'd go very slowly here, because you do not want to get so uneven that the position injures you.

Post a video of your press.

Thank you. I will get a video when I press next week (or maybe just BP again on Friday instead OH Press).

Bench (side view) 9-8-2022 - YouTube

Here is a video of the bench press from the side.

Thanks in advance!

Your right elbow is dropping. Press?

Will video later this week once I press. Thanks!

Here is my press today. Just about failed last rep.

Press 9-12-22 - YouTube

Thank you - appreciate everything!

Quote Originally Posted by aschaul10 View Post
    Here is my press today. Just about failed last rep.

Press 9-12-22 - YouTube

Thank you - appreciate everything!
    Correction: you had to work harder for that last rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Correction: you had to work harder for that last rep.
    Yes, agreed. Thanks to the SS community, I am able to grind out these last reps. A few months ago, I would have failed or likely not even attempted the last rep.

starting strength coach development program
    I didn't have a shoulder injury like you, but I had a similar problem when I started lifting where my bench was uneven. One thing that helped was tempo benches and paused benches. I notice in your video that you are bringing the barbell down very quickly, especially on later reps. This approach is natural because as the weight gets heavier, you try to rush through the reps to get them done as quickly as possible. When you move quickly on the descent, you lose tightness in the shoulders, chest, and legs, which causes your body to default to using more of your arms. I noticed that my triceps always felt very fatigued after these types of sets. I assumed it was because I had weak triceps, but in reality, I was recruiting too much of the arms. I assume your body naturally defaults to the side of the body that's stronger because of the surgery.

Remember that you must remain tight and controlled through the entire lift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast