starting strength gym

Thread: Deload my Deadlift?

Default Deload my Deadlift?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Height: 6'0
    Weight 194-198lbs I haven't gained weight since 06/13. I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted on 06/24 (Anecdotally, I remained partially conscious for the operation. I felt no pain, but was able to recall the order in which the teeth were removed as well as some words that were spoken around me.) This post may belong in the programming forum, but I have included 2 videos. One where I believe I am moving well, and another where things are not going how I would like.

My deadlift progression has been as follows (In pounds).

07/08 - 255x5
    07/11 - 265x5
    07/13 - 275x5
    07/15 - 285x5
    07/18 - 295x5
    07/20 - 305x5
    07/22 - 315x5
    07/25 - 325x5

07/29 - 330x4 -First failure since returning from layoff. Switch to 5lb jumps, began using straps for work weight.
    08/01 - 330x5
    08/05 - 335x5 -Began leaving DL out on Wednesday (Replaced with clean).
    08/08 - 340x5

08/12 - I began rockclimbing 2 weeks prior. This additional activity quickly outstripped my recovery, I didn't take a true rest day for over 2 weeks (despite good nutrition and sleep).
    08/15 - 345x3 - Once weekly DL now, 2 days cleaning. Quit rock climbing cold turkey in favor of "LP" (I'm pretty sure I'm just another YNDTP but I can't see what I'm fucking up for whatever reason.)
    08/22 - 345x5 - I believe this moved well. - 345x5 - YouTube
    08/29 - 350x3
    09/05 - 350x4 - 350x5 fail - YouTube - Skip to 55 seconds unless you wanna watch my dumbass fiddle with the straps.

Many thanks for the advice provided here. It's a very valuable resource to have. My gratitude cannot be understated.

Do not deload. Eat More Food, Drink Your Milk. Are you thinking about pushing down against the floor with the middle of your foot?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Do not deload. Eat More Food, Drink Your Milk. Are you thinking about pushing down against the floor with the middle of your foot?
    That is my cue once I've gotten my valsalva and put my chest up as hard as I can. I had been tracking protein intake for months and hitting my mark. About a week ago I started tracking carbs and calories as well. Carbs are never a problem but it turns out I hit 4k cal on a good day, typically 3500-3800. Is 4k enough? Should I pursue 5k?

Milk?

At least a half gallon, usually some combination of 2% and whole

One Gallon Of Whole Milk A Day.

Thank you. Will rectify today

345x5 was a very good set. Everything looked solid to me. My only nitpick is that you drop your hips a bit, which pushes the bar forward of mid-foot.

On 350x4, you just look exhausted. The first rep was rough because you dropped your hips. You improved on the 2nd, but by then you were pretty much done and you couldn't maintain the low back extension.

Not sure what you did in the days before 09/05, or what you did before deadlifts, but you just looked tired. Make sure your recovery is on point. Rip is right about the food, and make sure your sleep is in order as well.

One final thought... straps are fine, but you spend WAAAY too long getting set up. Almost a minute bent over with a tightened belt is going to be rough. It should take 10 seconds to get your straps set. See if you can make that more efficient.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    345x5 was a very good set. Everything looked solid to me. My only nitpick is that you drop your hips a bit, which pushes the bar forward of mid-foot.

On 350x4, you just look exhausted. The first rep was rough because you dropped your hips. You improved on the 2nd, but by then you were pretty much done and you couldn't maintain the low back extension.
    Thank you. I drop my hips in a misguided attempt to get my chest up. I will keep them high and get my chest up next time.

Yeah, 350 was pretty heinous.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    Not sure what you did in the days before 09/05, or what you did before deadlifts, but you just looked tired. Make sure your recovery is on point. Rip is right about the food, and make sure your sleep is in order as well.

One final thought... straps are fine, but you spend WAAAY too long getting set up. Almost a minute bent over with a tightened belt is going to be rough. It should take 10 seconds to get your straps set. See if you can make that more efficient.
    My sleep is good. I think my diet is the culprit I was typically having 3500-3800 calories per day. I had a gallon of whole milk yesterday, almost done with another today. The milk is pushing me over 5k. I'm thinking between the milk and what I normally eat that 350 will go up like 345 did (Hopefully with higher hips).

I'll find a better way to put them on. Thank you for your advice, sirs.