starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all. As explained in a previous post Squat form check without bar, I experienced some lower back pain last week. I've eased back into it and I'm better now.

I had noticed that my lower back was rounding at the bottom of the squat. So I've been working on my form at bit and also bought some weightlifting shoes. I think this has helped, I hope you agree:

Any pointers for further improvement much appreciated.

Get a little more bent over right away and keep your foot pressure midfoot. You're getting forward on a few of these. Sit your butt back to hit the last few inches of depth.

Also, please crop your videos in the future to include just the part where you get under the bar and do the set.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Wear thicker socks next time, and put on a belt.

Leaning over and sitting back are intimately related. If you sit back, you'll have an easier time leaning over and keeping the weight over midfoot won't be such a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Get a little more bent over right away and keep your foot pressure midfoot. You're getting forward on a few of these. Sit your butt back to hit the last few inches of depth.

Also, please crop your videos in the future to include just the part where you get under the bar and do the set.
    Thanks Coach. I have been focusing on the mid foot as I descend, hopefully it will be more obvious over time. I'm a little worried if I sit back more, my lower back will round again, and I'll get hurt.

Regarding the videos, I though 'shorts' weren't allowed, so I purposefully made it longer than 1 minute - although I could have cut off 10 secs or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Thomas View Post
    Wear thicker socks next time, and put on a belt.

Leaning over and sitting back are intimately related. If you sit back, you'll have an easier time leaning over and keeping the weight over midfoot won't be such a challenge.
    Thanks Roy. Interestingly I felt like the weight was over midfoot...

I will order a belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Radnor80 View Post
    Thanks Coach. I have been focusing on the mid foot as I descend, hopefully it will be more obvious over time. I'm a little worried if I sit back more, my lower back will round again, and I'll get hurt.
    I know this isn't a super helpful response, but you'll have to keep your back flat. That's what lumbar muscles are for, and they get trained a lot in these movements. If you find that you physically cannot keep your back flat when the weight is heavier, the solution isn't to squat more upright and forward of the midfoot. It's to make your lumbar better controlled and stronger which is usually caused by doing squats correctly as you progress in weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Radnor80 View Post
    Regarding the videos, I though 'shorts' weren't allowed, so I purposefully made it longer than 1 minute - although I could have cut off 10 secs or so.
    I'm going to have to look into this 'shorts' issue. There's got to be a way to post a video shorter than one minute without it getting converted to a short.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

I'm going to have to look into this 'shorts' issue. There's got to be a way to post a video shorter than one minute without it getting converted to a short.
    There is! Most computers come with a video editor of some kind (mine has windows movie maker, free version). By simply putting the video in the editor and saving it as an HD MP4 you can upload any length of video as an actual vid, not a short.

There is! Most computers come with a video editor of some kind (mine has windows movie maker, free version). By simply putting the video in the editor and saving it as an HD MP4 you can upload any length of video as an actual vid, not a short.
    That's good to know, but I suspect no one is going to do that because they're just uploading from their phones. Any ideas on how to do it on the Youtube end?

That's good to know, but I suspect no one is going to do that because they're just uploading from their phones. Any ideas on how to do it on the Youtube end?
    My phone is linked to my PC so all my stuff goes across platforms. Short of that, I've got no clue. There isn't much about this online either.

I believe if you film in landscape it won't become a short, but filming vertically it will

starting strength coach development program

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast