starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Male, 215 BW, 305 Squat, 360DL, 200 BP, 135 OHP.

Side view of squat.
    Bench (side view) 9-8-2022 - YouTube

Front view of squat.
    Squat front view (9-8-2022) - YouTube

Don't hold back, this is my first form check of any kind and I know there is likely plenty to point out.

Thanks in advance!

If you ever put "Eye Of The Tiger" on a video soundtrack again, I will delete your account and all your posting history.

Your first video is side view of a bench, not of a squat.

You already took down your second video so I shouldn’t comment but (1) your knees are caving in on the ascent - keep them pushed out, and (2) your back angle is becoming more horizontal on the ascent, which may be due to shifting hips back rather than straight up

My apologies. These should be the correct videos. Thanks for the input. With regards to your original comment on the horizontal back, does that mean I need to try and get my hips back sooner on the descent ?

Squat (Front View)
    September 8, 2022 - YouTube

Squat (Side View)
    Side Squat (9-8-2022) - YouTube

Is there a reason you can't set up your j-hooks on the opposite side so we can get a video from the rear quarter (see the sticky at the top of the thread)? Looks to be some grip/arm position that needs to be addressed and maybe lumbar over-extension, but it's hard to see everything from these angles.

Quote Originally Posted by aschaul10 View Post
    With regards to your original comment on the horizontal back, does that mean I need to try and get my hips back sooner on the descent ?

No, what I meant was when you're coming out of the bottom, your hips appear to be moving backwards a little bit, with your back angle becoming more horizontal as a result (torso falling forward/down). Focus on driving your sacrum straight upwards out of the bottom while maintaining a constant back angle. (Constant out of the bottom, obviously the back needs to be vertical by the end of the rep). There is a discussion of this problem prior to Figure 2-42 in the blue book. (I can't give you a page number because I have it on Kindle.) Also, I am just a random internet person so take my comments accordingly.

Narrow your stance an inch and point the toes out.

Get your knees forward and out early. Freeze them in position. Drive hips straight up out of the bottom.

It looks like you're shrugging on bench. Squeeze your shoulders blades together and down. Un-shrug. Make sure the bar starts and finishes at your shoulder joint.

Quote Originally Posted by aschaul10 View Post
    My apologies. These should be the correct videos. Thanks for the input. With regards to your original comment on the horizontal back, does that mean I need to try and get my hips back sooner on the descent ?

Squat (Front View)
    September 8, 2022 - YouTube

Squat (Side View)
    Side Squat (9-8-2022) - YouTube
    Barpath is good.

They aren't deep enough. You need to look at one spot the entire time, after you start to leave the hole you look somewhere else.

There is some part of your setup that needs some love too but it's hard to tell from this angle.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat (rear quarter) - YouTube

Here is a rear quartering view of my squats today, if this helps at all?

Front quarter squat - YouTube

Here is a front view as well. Not a great angle with the rack in the way, but thought I’d share in case it’s helpful.

Thanks all!