Default Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Male, 190lbs body weight, 6 foot tall

3rd set of 3 @ 105 lbs on 3 Sep 2022.
    Reps for 15, 4-2-3-2-1-1-1-1

Press, 105 @ 3rd set of 3, 3sep2022 - YouTube

First press form check. Please let me know if I need additional info or to do anything diffrent with the post, the video, angles, and of course the technique.
    Thanks!

The main problem is in the setup. You need to narrow your grip so it is shoulder width and unrack the bar with straight wrists and with your elbows forward more than they are. Be more aggressive with the hip reach and try to reach your hips further

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    The main problem is in the setup. You need to narrow your grip so it is shoulder width and unrack the bar with straight wrists and with your elbows forward more than they are. Be more aggressive with the hip reach and try to reach your hips further
    ^^^

In addition, if you pronate your grip a little it will be easier to keep your wrists straight. You should shrug the bar up at the top of the rep to reach as high as possible.

Chest up more (and keep it tight); elbows forward more. Also, one half-step back from the rack, get set and go. See this recent Coach Khamiss video:

Quick Heavy Press Setup Tips | Austin Khamiss

Thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Thomas View Post
    ^^^

In addition, if you pronate your grip a little it will be easier to keep your wrists straight. You should shrug the bar up at the top of the rep to reach as high as possible.
    Thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    Chest up more (and keep it tight); elbows forward more. Also, one half-step back from the rack, get set and go. See this recent Coach Khamiss video:

Quick Heavy Press Setup Tips | Austin Khamiss
    Thanks for the tips and the video was very helpful!

You need to narrow your grip so it is shoulder width and unrack the bar with straight wrists and with your elbows forward more than they are.
    Good job at spoting the grip width, I have changed it a couple times and list time I changed it I think I widened it way to much. I was going off of the book saying the forearms should be vertical and I had my wife tell me when my forearms were vertical and just makes that width but just now I looked in a window and realized it’s really wide but also I think you can make your forearms vertical at diffrent widths at least I can, but I tried the 1/2 inch in from the knurl and that looks and feels much better. I’m going to try that on my press today and see how it goes, along with the other tips I got.