starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Sag

Default Squat Sag

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is my third set of five from today. I filmed from the front because I noticed the bar sagging to the right throughout my sets last week.

I'm not sure this is an issue, or if it is how severe it is. This thumbnail leads me to believe it isn't a big problem - Stronger is Better for Tango Dancing at Starting Strength Beaverton - YouTube

If it is an issue, how should I correct it?

My main cues for coming out of the hole are "hips up" and "knees out" as these seem to be the things I struggle with most. I believe reps 1-3 are solid. I get in my chest for rep 4 instead of staying in my hips. Rep five is a couple inches too high and again, a little too chesty.

3rd set of 305 - 305 3rd set 09/12/22 - YouTube

Thank you so much for your time.

There is a point which I'd correct it, but I wouldn't worry about yours. Hardly noticeable if you hadn't pointed it out.

I'd narrow your stance by a bit. Drive the hips straight up (not back) while you freeze the knees in position. If you let the knees cave and shoot back, then the hips will go back without any transfer to the upward movement of the barbell.
    Be patient right out of the hole. Let the rep be slow. The bar will be moving the same speed, if not faster, but it will feel slower because you'll be moving less out of the bottom. You can control the knees better than this. You might have to take some weight off the bar and work back up, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Thank you, Coach. I had a light day Wednesday and your advice worked wonders.

I took my five pound jump to 310 today and failed on rep five of set one, then to be honest, proceeded to pussy out on rep five of sets two and three. That being said, I had much better control of my knees today.

After the third set, I noticed that my abductors on the right side were already sore. I'm guessing that they had been getting away with not contributing their fair share of the work. Hence the caving on the right.

Thank you again.