starting strength gym

Thread: Chin-ups form check

Default Chin-ups form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Male, 190lbs body weight, 6 foot tall

Chin-ups, B.W. @ 1st set of 6 reps, 10sep2022 - YouTube

First chin ups form check. Please let me know if I need additional info or to do anything diffrent with the post, the video, angles, and of course the technique.
    Thanks!

Overall, looks good with a few tweaks to work on.
    1: Hand placement and width look good.
    2: Start your first rep from a dead hang. Example, take your grip, hang with feet off the floor since your feet are touching on the first rep.
    3: Keep your body vertical during the pull. You start to leg kick/swing out further into the set. A mental cue to "stay vertical" might work. Or, put a chair in front of you. If you kick/move the chair then you know you are swinging and not staying vertical during the pull/ascent. There are two ways of doing chin-ups and/or pull-ups, strict form or just going through the motions. Full range of motion is the movement standard, however, my brain resorts to the military standard of "strict form" which is staying vertical during the PULL/ascent. My personal nuance.
    4: When pulling, cue the back muscles and arms during the pull to work together. I believe some people get focused on pulling with their arms and less with the back or vice versa...try it, you will feel a difference in your muscles.
    5: Keep it up. I hear the USMC is recruiting and those chins will pass with a few technique tweaks.

You passed the hard part which is the ability of pulling yourself up to the bar unassisted. Be thankful for that ability vs having to resort to all kinds of auxiliary work to simply get yourself to chin the bar.

Slow down the descent a little, and rebound off the bottom with more zeal.