starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, all you excellent people. I would appreciate it if any coach would be willing to review the video below and tell me if my form has errors on these deadlifts at 305lbs. I realized after that this probably isn't the preferred angle, but I'd appreciate the best you can do with what I've got out of tonight's workout.

Thank you kindly!

Put on your shirt for these videos, okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Put on your shirt for these videos, okay?
    Hi Mark- I understand. I assure you I don't film shirtless to satisfy my vanity - I'm short, fat, middle-aged, and not strong. Anyway, I won't bore you further with my reasoning.

If it's a deal breaker then I'll just go up in weight like normal and film the next one with my shirt on. While I'm at it, I'll even film at the preferred angle. Have a great day, thanks.

The deadlifts look okay. The running shoes are a terrible idea, for reasons beaten to death elsewhere. The last couple of reps got a little forward before you started the pull, maybe the shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    Hello, all you excellent people. I would appreciate it if any coach would be willing to review the video below and tell me if my form has errors on these deadlifts at 305lbs. I realized after that this probably isn't the preferred angle, but I'd appreciate the best you can do with what I've got out of tonight's workout.

Thank you kindly!
    Don't exhale until the bar is back on the ground.

Thanks Mark. I see what you are saying - I can see the motion of the bar move back a little at the beginning of the lift.

The shoes are Reebok "Lifter PR II Cross Trainer." They advertise to be made for lifting and contain a metatarsal strap. Lifting what, I don't know - they raise the heel about an inch (and they feel great).

I'll try another set of shoes with a flatter sole when deadlifting and see how that goes.

Just want to follow through and say that getting rid of the lifting shoes with the raised heel did in-fact solve the back and forth motion of the bar at the very bottom of the pull.

Deadlifts are starting to feel pretty difficult now for the first time in my linear progression. Fun stuff.

Thanks coach!

starting strength coach development program
    I wouldn’t use straps and a mixed grip.