starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    36 years, 5'11", 220 lbs.

First deadlift PR in a while. It gets a little ugly toward the end. The bar bounced about an inch to my right after rep 4. I tried to scoot over to meet the bar but never got reset properly. I unintentionally ramped the bar once I got above the knees but I finished the set.

Deadlift 365 lbs - YouTube

Thanks

Hey Matt - good work on the PR.

A few tips:
    - It looks like you're burning through the five steps pretty quick. Make sure to take the time to properly walk through all steps (stance, grip, shins, back, pull - or whatever cue you have). Especially: DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.
    - Reset after each rep, and make sure you're tight. Lower back extension is hard enough for guys, don't make it harder by missing this step and then losing tightness through the rep. "Belly through the thighs" or "lift the chest" or "feel heavy in your hands"; whatever you need to do to get tight before those reps. Reset, tighten, pull.
    - If your hands come off the bar, the set is technically over, but, we can overlook that...
    - Rep 3 (I think - roughly the 42 second mark) shows the best example of what you're doing: i.e. attempting to lift the bar, rather than push through the floor. Follow the five steps, get tight, then push through the floor. I think you're scooping because you're rounding your back from not staying tight.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by zklimczak View Post
    Hey Matt - good work on the PR.

A few tips:
    - It looks like you're burning through the five steps pretty quick. Make sure to take the time to properly walk through all steps (stance, grip, shins, back, pull - or whatever cue you have). Especially: DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.
    - Reset after each rep, and make sure you're tight. Lower back extension is hard enough for guys, don't make it harder by missing this step and then losing tightness through the rep. "Belly through the thighs" or "lift the chest" or "feel heavy in your hands"; whatever you need to do to get tight before those reps. Reset, tighten, pull.
    - If your hands come off the bar, the set is technically over, but, we can overlook that...
    - Rep 3 (I think - roughly the 42 second mark) shows the best example of what you're doing: i.e. attempting to lift the bar, rather than push through the floor. Follow the five steps, get tight, then push through the floor. I think you're scooping because you're rounding your back from not staying tight.

Cheers!
    Thanks for the tips