starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all
    I've just completed 8 weeks of the NLP. I was pleased to get 1x5 @ 315 lbs today.
    Reps 2 and 3 felt good - but I know there was some arm bend at the top of reps 4 and 5. I was trying to focus on keeping my arms straight, but it's still happening now and again.
    Is it worth just moving to straps for my work set so that I don't injury myself? I don't have any plans to complete.

And any other appropriate feedback would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Radnor80 View Post
    Hi all
    I've just completed 8 weeks of the NLP. I was pleased to get 1x5 @ 315 lbs today.
    Reps 2 and 3 felt good - but I know there was some arm bend at the top of reps 4 and 5. I was trying to focus on keeping my arms straight, but it's still happening now and again.
    Is it worth just moving to straps for my work set so that I don't injury myself? I don't have any plans to complete.

And any other appropriate feedback would be great.
    These look good, but you're right about the arm bend. Don't exhale until the bar is back on the ground. Look at one spot the whole time.

The straps are a personal choice. I've found them to be more helpful for work weight than the alternate grip because they don't produce an asymmetry in the shoulder.

Things looked mostly good. A few things that may help...
    - No need to hold at the top. When you've reached the top and locked out, move in reverse and set the weight down. Speaking of...
    - Get into the habit of setting the weight straight down, fast. No need to take your time on the descent. Unlock your hips, move in reverse, let the weight fall. Reset hips, knees, etc. Pull.
    - Have you considered using a hook grip and some chalk? Puts less strain on the supinated hand's bicep.
    - If you want to move to straps, then move to straps. It doesn't make pulling any easier, but if you're worried about grip strength, it can remove one thing to worry about in the lift.
    Cheers.

Do you live in Martha's Vineyard?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing. I bet it's lovely, wherever it is.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Thomas View Post
    These look good, but you're right about the arm bend. Don't exhale until the bar is back on the ground. Look at one spot the whole time.
    Yeah, not exhaling at the top is one I keep forgetting in the moment.

The straps are a personal choice. I've found them to be more helpful for work weight than the alternate grip because they don't produce an asymmetry in the shoulder.
    Thanks. I'll see. I'll keeping trying to remember to keep my arms locked, triceps flexed.

Hi zklimczak, thanks for your details feedback.

No need to hold at the top. When you've reached the top and locked out, move in reverse and set the weight down. Speaking of...
    Get into the habit of setting the weight straight down, fast. No need to take your time on the descent. Unlock your hips, move in reverse, let the weight fall. Reset hips, knees, etc. Pull.
    Will do.

Have you considered using a hook grip and some chalk? Puts less strain on the supinated hand's bicep.
    If you want to move to straps, then move to straps. It doesn't make pulling any easier, but if you're worried about grip strength, it can remove one thing to worry about in the lift.
    I am using chalk. And my grip is no problem. I just want to avoid causing a bicep injury when the weights get heavier. I will try the hook grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Kind of - the Philippines - but they allow immigrants!