starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi there, I壇 really appreciate some feedback on this 3rd of squats at 117.5kg. I feel like I知 relying too much on my lower back and its starting to feel pretty beaten up the next day. I知 still on Phase 1 NLP so adding 2.5kg to deadlift and squat each workout. I知 thinking about adding in the Power Clean, but should I also look at a lighter Squat day too? Thanks!

Squat 18/9/22 - YouTube

I知 added my deadlift work set from the end of the same workout at 150kg for context. Kyphosis in the back discussed in this thread:
    Deadlift form check

Deadlift 18/9/22 - YouTube

SQ: Your knees need to come much further forward than they are now. Essentially, they are staying almost vertical and you're hanging off your knees. Keep driving your ass vertically. Other than moving very slowly, these were well fought. I would most definitely start adding in a light day.

DL: Fight harder to keep that upper back in as much extension as you can. Also, try to get into a better rhythm at the bottom; you're almost taking juuust too long resetting between reps. I would also say "yes" to introducing the power clean.

Forget about "phases." Invest in a belt.

Also forgot to say in the original post that the bar is starting to roll up my back in the later reps.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieMack12 View Post
    Hi there, I壇 really appreciate some feedback on this 3rd of squats at 117.5kg. I feel like I知 relying too much on my lower back and its starting to feel pretty beaten up the next day. I知 still on Phase 1 NLP so adding 2.5kg to deadlift and squat each workout. I知 thinking about adding in the Power Clean, but should I also look at a lighter Squat day too? Thanks!

Squat 18/9/22 - YouTube

I知 added my deadlift work set from the end of the same workout at 150kg for context. Kyphosis in the back discussed in this thread:
    Deadlift form check

Deadlift 18/9/22 - YouTube

(Not an SSC) Your stance looks too wide on your squat which is preventing you from puching your knees out to fully engage ll the musculature attached to your hips, and preventing the bounce offered by the stretch reflex. If I'm right you need to narrow your stance and focus on pushing your knees out.

Quote Originally Posted by ScruffyLooken View Post
    (Not an SSC) Your stance looks too wide on your squat which is preventing you from puching your knees out to fully engage ll the musculature attached to your hips, and preventing the bounce offered by the stretch reflex. If I'm right you need to narrow your stance and focus on pushing your knees out.
    You are right. A better video angle would show too-wide a stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    SQ: Your knees need to come much further forward than they are now. Essentially, they are staying almost vertical and you're hanging off your knees. Keep driving your ass vertically. Other than moving very slowly, these were well fought. I would most definitely start adding in a light day.

DL: Fight harder to keep that upper back in as much extension as you can. Also, try to get into a better rhythm at the bottom; you're almost taking juuust too long resetting between reps. I would also say "yes" to introducing the power clean.

Forget about "phases." Invest in a belt.
    Thanks very much for your input, I was literally just about to order a dominion belt so will get that sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by ScruffyLooken View Post

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll make the change and see how it feels!

starting strength coach development program
    Just wanted to come back and say thanks to Coach Rippetoe, Satch12879 and ScriffyLooken. Made the change, dropped them back to 110 and re-ran up, just about to pass 117.5 again and these feel unbelievably stronger. Thanks guys!