starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check 250lbs. (TCV-1)

Default Squat Form Check 250lbs. (TCV-1)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Link: Squat Form Check 250lb - YouTube

Height: 6'2"
    Weight:220lbs
    DL: 320
    Press: 117.5
    Bench: 182.5
    Trying to eat around 4500 calories/day.
    Started April 1st, 2022

Perhaps I am too impatient, but I believe my squat is lagging behind where it should be given my age, weight, and how long I've done the program. Although, when compared to my other lifts, it's right around 60% of the 'standard' (400 pounds), and all my other lifts are around 60% of the 200/300/500lb standard.

Regardless, I get under the bar and it just feels HEAVY, and I think my form suffers. I think my knees are caving in too much as I drive up--I've de-loaded the bar twice already (once two months ago and another time last month) and seem to have solid knee control until I get up to the 240-250 range.

I would greatly appreciate any other feedback. Thank you very much.

P.S. Enjoy the merch ;)

Last 4 were high.

Fix the depth and focus of shoving your ass UP and your knees OUT when you're leaving the hole.
    You start raising your chest really early on the last 3 reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Last 4 were high.
    Thanks, Rip. I’m evidently not quite correctly estimating where my hip crease/patella are, because when I initially reviewed the footage I thought they all were just slightly below parallel. If I hit depth tomorrow, everything else look acceptable enough to go up 5 pounds?

If anyone else is able to provide feedback I’d greatly appreciate it, specifically on my knees (knee wobbly-ness, potential knee slide). Thanks, SS community!

Place your camera at the suggested height and you can see it.

Required reading before posting

Respectfully, I read that and watched the video. And then set-up the camera at very close to eye-level height. Perhaps it doesn’t appear that way to you, but I did.

^Rip would you like me to place it at a lower height in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Thomas View Post
    Fix the depth and focus of shoving your ass UP and your knees OUT when you're leaving the hole.
    You start raising your chest really early on the last 3 reps.
    Thank you, Roy. That was really helpful. I’ll focus on those two cues.
    I didn’t previously notice how soon I raise my chest on the last 3, but you’re totally right. I’ll try to improve that!

Just re-read the post. I may be wrong, but I think you might have slightly conflicting information when it comes to camera angle for the squat. Twice we are instructed to put it at about eye-level from the rear 45, but one time we are instructed to put it at hip-height.

Please let me know which you prefer and I will film all future form checks from that height.

Thank you for your help, as you’re using your time to provide this free service.

(Moderator, feel free to delete my previous two replies to Rip about camera height)

I don't care where you put the camera, as long as I can see that your hips are below parallel.

I don't care where you put the camera, as long as I can see that your hips are below parallel.
    Well that will be very difficult if I never get my hips below parallel, won’t it? Ha! I’ll fix the depth and then post another video. Thank you for your help.

Looks like your valsalva/squeeze is not as tight as it could be. I see you take/hold a breath, but your upper back loosens up (a little) but more importantly I can’t see your belt “swell” from the huge outward push. Harder you squeeze, easier the bar will come up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
    Looks like your valsalva/squeeze is not as tight as it could be. I see you take/hold a breath, but your upper back loosens up (a little) but more importantly I can’t see your belt “swell” from the huge outward push. Harder you squeeze, easier the bar will come up.
    Thanks! I don't have a trained enough eye to see when I loosen my upper back, but I'll take your word for it.

I know that Rip doesn't encourage intentionally trying to push out against the belt, but it seems I still need to take a bigger breath and hold it TIGHT in my gut.