starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    36 years, 5'11", 222 lb

Squat 325 lb - YouTube

Video from my third set. I've been trying for weeks to achieve a more horizontal back angle. Am I close to getting bent over far enough? If not, approximately how many fewer degrees of angle do I need?

Also, I've had some trouble with bicep tendonitis and have been experimenting with grip width. At first tried I bringing my grip in until pinkies were just inside the powerlifting rings, but I was having trouble keeping my fingers in contact with the bar that way. This week I've been trying ring fingers on the power lifting rings and everything is much more comfortable. Does the grip look OK fom here or is a different camera angle needed?

All feedback is appreciated.

Number 3 showed knee slide. The rest were pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Number 3 showed knee slide. The rest were pretty good.
    Thanks, Rip. I'll try to keep the knee slide under control and add 5 pounds.

395x5 Squat - YouTube

Posting a topset of 5 at 395. This is my second attempt at this weight. I'm cueing hip drive but find my knees and hips shooting back on the ascent which leads to some grindy reps. Should I try chest up or some other cue to keep my hips under me?

I tweaked my back on the 4th rep but finished this set plus 2 more backoffs sets at 355. Moderately sore in the lumbar today but no radiculopathy (have had past problems with suspected L5/S1 herniation) . Hope this will loosen up with some light squats tomorrow.

As for programming I've been doing a topset plus two back offs @ 90% for the last 6 weeks and a light day Wednesday. Recovery with 2 heavy days per week is beginning to be an issue and I think it's time to move the squat to weekly programming.

Thanks for your time.