starting strength gym

Thread: Question as I adapt

Default Question as I adapt

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am coming over from a world of five day a week muscle specific, high volume, self-taught training... and years of it. Arm day, leg day, chest day, etc.

Last week, on my 3x5 back squats, my last set was 295lbs. I felt good about it, but I was reading some of the blue book this past weekend, and I realized my squat form was not so good. It would be more of a high bar, toes straight, narrow stance kind of squat and not getting down low enough. I also have a habit of looking up.

I was training this morning and struggled at 275lbs. The low bar position with tows pointed out was very awkward for me.

My question is, should I scale back my weight as I work on my form or stay at 275? After warm up sets, I did 225x5, 275x3, 275x3, 275x2.

I do have some leg strength. I am used to doing 10 reps at 720lbs on a plate loaded leg press for what that's worth (which may not be much as I am finding out).

Thank you.

Your Journey Of Discovery has begun. The first thing you discover is that squats are not about "leg strength" but rather about hips, back, and the whole-damn-thing strength. At the end of the blue book chapter on squats, you are given the procedure for your first workout. Follow the program.

Sounds good. Thank you.