starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check; Depth Issue

Default Squat Form Check; Depth Issue

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello all, I've been coaching my dad but he's having some difficulty in the squat, namely with depth: Dad Squats 47.5kg (3rd set) - YouTube

I've tried to correct the knee slide by getting him to set his knees out earlier, but he also has another problem when it comes to hitting depth. He says he feels some "stretching pain at the groin" when he reaches the bottom of the squat, and so he resists going further out of fear. This applies even when doing a regular bodyweight squat with no bar.

Are his adductors overcompensating because he's just not shoving his knees out enough? Is it a hip mobility issue? I would be really appreciate some input. Thanks!

Well, he fucked up and got to good depth on the last rep. So he can squat to depth. If he wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Lee View Post
    I've tried to correct the knee slide by getting him to set his knees out earlier, but he also has another problem when it comes to hitting depth. He says he feels some "stretching pain at the groin" when he reaches the bottom of the squat, and so he resists going further out of fear. This applies even when doing a regular bodyweight squat with no bar.
    Have him hit depth. If you need to, take some weight off. The only way he's going to stretch out and be able to squat, is if he squats. Once he can hit depth, start putting more weight on.

From :16 - :19 there is way too much movement of that barbell -- you are waiving it like a flag, don't do that. at :20 when you take your breath, I think you are over-extending your spine (and consequentlyl moving your upper back with the bar on it). Also, at least on the first rep, you were breaking first exclusively at the hips, then the knees catch up -- this needs to happen at the same time. Set both your knees and your back angle quicker, and at the same time. Nick D gave a great drill for this (without the barbell) where you immediately drop your knee on 'top of your big toe', while at the same time bending over.

Can't tell what his stance looks like from this angle. Can't tell if he's shoving his knees apart enough - this can prevent adequate depth. Use a box during warmups to cue him to depth and then remove for last warmup and work sets. Adductors aren't overcompensating, they can't do their job fully without adequate stance+knees out. Hip mobility is likely not an issue as he has proven he can reach depth. Stretching in the groin is good - this lets you know the adductors are reaching a length where they can be effective in the bounce and hip extension. Thoracic spine needs to stay extended better. "Prouder" chest to start and maintained through the rep. Grip could be factor but again, can't see from this angle.

Thanks for the input, everyone. We really appreciate it.

We took some weight off and worked on some drills without the bar, going down to a box etc. to work on depth, and dad is certainly feeling more confident getting lower. He still feels the "stretching pain" in the groin at the bottom that I first described, but it's become more manageable according to him. He's continuing to up the weight while trying to improve depth each session. Here's the latest I have of him squatting: 14 September 2022 Dad Squats 45kg 3x5 (3rd Set) - YouTube

Anymore opinions on what might be lacking, technique-wise? Perhaps a widened stance? Also, is there known mechanical explanation for his thoracic spine flexing as he reaches the bottom, and how to fix it? Is it just a matter of not doing it?

I think his feet need to be wider,
    his width looks about right as he unracks, shoulder wide,
    but he narrows up a few inches as he stands to squat,
    have him try a wider stance squatting,

Quote Originally Posted by neilc1 View Post
    I think his feet need to be wider,
    his width looks about right as he unracks, shoulder wide,
    but he narrows up a few inches as he stands to squat,
    have him try a wider stance squatting,
    Thanks! I wasn't sure if that was just me. I'll have him widen his stance and see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Lee View Post
    Thanks for the input, everyone. We really appreciate it.

We took some weight off and worked on some drills without the bar, going down to a box etc. to work on depth, and dad is certainly feeling more confident getting lower. He still feels the "stretching pain" in the groin at the bottom that I first described, but it's become more manageable according to him. He's continuing to up the weight while trying to improve depth each session. Here's the latest I have of him squatting: 14 September 2022 Dad Squats 45kg 3x5 (3rd Set) - YouTube

Anymore opinions on what might be lacking, technique-wise? Perhaps a widened stance? Also, is there known mechanical explanation for his thoracic spine flexing as he reaches the bottom, and how to fix it? Is it just a matter of not doing it?
    These look better but stance is still a bit narrow I think. Move out 1-2" per side. I agree that as he unracks his feet look about right but as he steps back, he narrows the stance for the squat.

Avoid squatting in front of a mirror - watch how he looks at the mirror at the top of each rep and then as he begins the rep, he moves his eyes down to where they should be. This starts the collapse of his thoracic spine as he descends and his head/eyes appear to continue to move during some reps. Gaze should remain fixed throughout - on this floor the seam between the two black tiles/rows looks right. Grip needs to be brought in, this will also help tighten up his thoracic spine. At the top of the rep, he needs to think "chest up" and shoulder blades pinched together. Then, actively hold this tightness throughout the rep.

Now, the biggest problem is he is lifting his chest on the way up. This is most evident on #3 and #4. Fixing his gaze should help some with this. Hips drive straight up and chest remains pointed down at the floor through at least the first half of the ascent.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, Chris. Trying to get him to widen stance, but it seems it's a sense of security thing (I'm only able to coach him online since we're in separate countries).

19 September 2022 Dad Squats 52.5kg 3x5 (3rd Set) - YouTube Here's a video of him on his third set of squats at 52.5kg. According to him, it was a bad day for squats as he said he just felt weak.

I'm not sure what the issue is. Perhaps we'll have to work on the basics like hip drive? He might be hesitant using letting the bounce at the bottom happen because of the stretch we discussed at the beginning of this thread. Depth on all three sets was high.

Would appreciate more comments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast