starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check 250lbs (Take 2)

Default Squat Form Check 250lbs (Take 2)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here is my post from last week: Squat Form Check 250lbs. (TCV-1) Feedback was:
    (1) I wasn't hitting depth
    (2) I need a better camera angle
    (3) I should focus on driving my hips UP and my knees OUT on my ascent
    I did my best to focus on these 3 points

Height: 6'2"
    Weight:220lbs
    DL: 320
    Press: 117.5
    Bench: 182.5
    Trying to eat around 4500 calories/day.
    Started April 1st, 2022

Set 1: Squat Form Check 2 (Set 1) 250lb - YouTube
    Set 2 (failed on rep 4): Squat Form Check 2 (Set 2) 250lb - YouTube

Personal Observations:
    Set 1:
    (1) I may have raised my chest too early on reps 4 and 5
    (2) I seem to be struggling to keep my lower back in extension during the ascent, especially as the set goes on.
    (3) I think I hit depth on all 5 reps, but the depth is variable. Reps 1, 3, and 4 are perhaps a bit too low. Rep 2 seems solid. Rep 5 seems just on the line of "too shallow."
    (4) My knees seem slightly more solid than last time, but despite my best efforts, they are far more wobbly than I would like.

Set 2:
    (1) I tried to cue my chest and lower back (after watching the first set) and I think they were slightly better on the 3 reps I completed.
    (2) I still struggled with knee control
    (3) I should've fought for longer on rep #4. I could have gotten it up.

This is the 4th session in a row where I have failed on my second squat workset. NO WAY I'm at the end of my NLP--do I need to reset down to 225? I've already reset my squat twice and would be loathe to do it a third time, but if it's necessary, I will.

Thank you to everyone who helped with my last post (Rip, Roy Thomas, and Geronimo) and to everyone who will comment on this one.

P.S. enjoy the merch pt. 2 ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Gosh Dangit Rip—how many hoops do I gotta jump through to get legitimate form advice from you? Hahaha.

Q1: 7 minutes between sets
    Q2: 5-lb increases
    Q3: Sleeping 8-9 hours per night. Eating 4500 calories.

However, this may be the issue: I failed my first time at 250 on September 14th. I then was on vacation for a week and missed my workouts on the 16th, 19th, and 21st (there wasn’t a gym within an hour of the vacation house). Since then, I’ve failed at at 250 on the 23rd, 26th, and 28th.

So:

1. Programming-wise, what should I do? Keep doing 250 till I get it? Drop to 240, or lower?
    2. Any form tips?

As always, thanks for your time.

Try 10 minutes between work sets. And get to 250 as fast as you can.

If you layoff for more than a week it's usually best to take a little weight off and run it back up. How are you tracking your food intake? Could you provide an example day with a list of exactly what you ate?

set 1:
    (1) Maybe a little but it's not the same caliber of problem it was last time. Keep working on it and it'll be fine
    (2) Yes, that will happen when it's heavy. Keep your chest up without raising it. Let it come with your hips, but don't let it lead.
    (3) Rep 5 is high. The rest are fine. You're dropping into the bottom of most of these. The only way that can happen is if something is relaxing. You need to stay tight the whole time.
    (4) Yes, they are reminiscent of Mr. Presleys at the moment. This is the biggest issue (Besides depth on rep 5) that needs correcting.

set 2:
    (1) The extension is improved, but you start leading with the chest a little. Leading with the chest will pull you out of extension eventually so see above, #2.
    (2) That is very true. Shove them out on the whole ride down and keep them there when you leave the hole. This might make the rep take longer, but it will be safer, more efficient, and it will train the things that keep your knees out IF you will keep your knees out.
    (3) Probably, but at what expense. It's better to take 5-10% off, fix your knees and shove your ass up, and then run past this weight with a more technically sounds motion.

Also, set the pins at a height below your bottom position that won't bury you if you need to set it down. This way you can set the bar on them instead of having to roll it off your neck/head.

Thank you, Rip. Will do!

If anyone else has any form and/or programming-related feedback, I’m all ears!

Might Mr. Chubby benefit from a slightly wider stance? Like an inch or two?

Quote Originally Posted by TheChubbyViking View Post
    Gosh Dangit Rip—how many hoops do I gotta jump through to get legitimate form advice from you? Hahaha.
    Coaches – Starting Strength Coaching Directory

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Might Mr. Chubby benefit from a slightly wider stance? Like an inch or two?
    I do hope that is the case--I feel like a wider stance would make it somewhat easier, although I don't want to 'cheat,' ha! Thanks for taking the time to watch and offer feedback.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Thomas View Post
    If you layoff for more than a week it's usually best to take a little weight off and run it back up. How are you tracking your food intake? Could you provide an example day with a list of exactly what you ate?

set 1:
    (1) Maybe a little but it's not the same caliber of problem it was last time. Keep working on it and it'll be fine
    (2) Yes, that will happen when it's heavy. Keep your chest up without raising it. Let it come with your hips, but don't let it lead.
    (3) Rep 5 is high. The rest are fine. You're dropping into the bottom of most of these. The only way that can happen is if something is relaxing. You need to stay tight the whole time.
    (4) Yes, they are reminiscent of Mr. Presleys at the moment. This is the biggest issue (Besides depth on rep 5) that needs correcting.

set 2:
    (1) The extension is improved, but you start leading with the chest a little. Leading with the chest will pull you out of extension eventually so see above, #2.
    (2) That is very true. Shove them out on the whole ride down and keep them there when you leave the hole. This might make the rep take longer, but it will be safer, more efficient, and it will train the things that keep your knees out IF you will keep your knees out.
    (3) Probably, but at what expense. It's better to take 5-10% off, fix your knees and shove your ass up, and then run past this weight with a more technically sounds motion.

Also, set the pins at a height below your bottom position that won't bury you if you need to set it down. This way you can set the bar on them instead of having to roll it off your neck/head.
    Wow I am just now seeing this. First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to read my own reflections, watch the videos, and then provide such insightful advice. This is all helpful.

To update, I have taken a pretty drastic reset, as even with a minor reset my knees were still pretty awful. So I'm slowly building back up with better form.

Diet-wise, I am just starting to read Stan Efferding's "The Vertical Diet" and plan to start following it quite closely, along with half GOMAD.