starting strength gym

Thread: Squat depth + knees

Default Squat depth + knees

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,

I would appreciate a form check of my squat. I am mostly concerned about hitting depth and the knees shooting back when coming out of the hole.

2nd set 157.5 kg/ 347 lbs:
    2nd set, 157.5kg - YouTube

3rd set 157.5 kg/ 347 lbs:
    3rd set, 157.5 kg - YouTube

General info:
    Male, age 23, height 191 cm/ 6 feet 3 inches, bodyweight: 122 kg/ 269 lbs.

Thanks in advance

Shitty camera angle, read the sticky. All the classic errors: no hip drive, fighting to keep the back angle vertical, eyes forward not down, no aggressive rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Shitty camera angle, read the sticky.
    It had some pertinent information for the 3rd set.

Reps 4 and 5 in the second set and the last three reps in the third set are high. You will want to feel your hamstrings rubbing on your calves as a reference point for depth.

Thnaks a lot for the reply Mark. I did the same weight today, trying to fix the mistakes you mentioned:
    2nd set side view 157.5kg/ 347lbs 2nd set 157.5kg side view - YouTube
    3rd set rear quarter view 157.5kg/ 347lbs 3rd set 157.5kg rear quarter view - YouTube

Some remarks that I believe are relevant: I have a long torso, therefore my back is much more vertical during the squat. That also means for me that having a neutral neck results in me looking forward rather than directly down. I have tried looking down much closer to me, but then I feel like I'm losing balance on the ascend (falling foward). I tried to fix the rebound issue by allowing myself a quicker descend close to the bottom.
    I would really appreciate some feedback on the new videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Irdi Agastra View Post
    Thnaks a lot for the reply Mark. I did the same weight today, trying to fix the mistakes you mentioned:
    2nd set side view 157.5kg/ 347lbs 2nd set 157.5kg side view - YouTube
    3rd set rear quarter view 157.5kg/ 347lbs 3rd set 157.5kg rear quarter view - YouTube

Some remarks that I believe are relevant: I have a long torso, therefore my back is much more vertical during the squat. That also means for me that having a neutral neck results in me looking forward rather than directly down. I have tried looking down much closer to me, but then I feel like I'm losing balance on the ascend (falling foward). I tried to fix the rebound issue by allowing myself a quicker descend close to the bottom.
    I would really appreciate some feedback on the new videos.
    Depth looks pretty good on that second set!

starting strength coach development program
    Your torso doesn't look disproportionately longer than the rest of your body. Your back angle is vertical because you're watching yourself in the mirror. You can and will have a neutral neck with an eye gaze down on the floor 3-5 feet in front of you.

If you feel like your falling forward while looking down, reach your hips back farther and bend over more. This will also help with rebounding out of the bottom.