starting strength gym

Thread: Power Cleans

Default Power Cleans

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all!

Joe Isler here, looking for help on my power cleans. Any technical error seen here? I am not sure if my timing is off with the jumping positions at the mid thigh or if I am just not seeing something else.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Power cleans 165x3 - YouTube

Your jump position is inconsistent. The first rep is good, the bar in your jump position is midthigh. Reps 2 and 3, your jump position is a bit late (the bar is too high up your thigh).

Keep your shoulders out over the bar as you approach the jump position. Your hips are almost fully extended (back is vertical) before you jump, which is bringing the bar too far up your thigh.

The biggest issue is "power leakage"...You never reach full knee/leg extension and "popping the hips forward" when the bar hits mid thigh during the upward pull. A bent knee and hips not forward is energy not being utilized. Get comfortable with understanding where your body needs to be when the bar makes contact with the mid thigh (explosive upward movement full leg extension, hips popped forward and arms in extension/elbows locked) once you feel that moment of bar bounce pull/shrug the bar upward and quickly push your elbows forward under the bar. Another tip, keep the bar as close to your body as possible during the pull. If the bar is pulling your shirt tail up, you are hitting the mark. This tip might be nuanced, however, if you choose to progress to the snatch, then you have already built some good muscle memory with bar path staying close to the body. In short, work on the jumping position, during warm ups, start with the bar below the knees, pull to the jump position and stop. Get comfortable with feeling explosive movement upward and popping the hips. This will also get your body accustomed to feeling the bar becoming weightless if doing the steps correctly. Do not worry about the elbows and getting under the bar(the clean portion)....yes, it looks ridiculous in the gym jumping around but it pays dividends. Once comfortable with the pull/jump, incorporate the clean. Lot of moving parts to the clean, fix one thing at a time. Cues I use, pull, jump, pop hips, drive the elbows. Keep training and stay in the grind.