starting strength gym

Thread: Novice Squat Form Check (40 yo male, 3x5 @ 325)

Default Novice Squat Form Check (40 yo male, 3x5 @ 325)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm currently doing SS NLP.

Current squat progress: 3x5 @ 325

Background: Had lower lumber decompression surgery two years ago and was told never to squat or deadlift. So... I decided to squat and deadlift. Just started squatting on 9/1/2022.

This video was from a recent volume day last week to work on my form, so I was at 285, not my current progression of 325.

Hoping to get some advice on my form. Due to my back, I can't seem to get more horizontal.

Thanks in advance!

What about your back makes it difficult to bend your hips more to make your back more horizontal?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Sorry, that bit was worded poorly.

Something like: “I’m having trouble getting over the mental hurdle (fear of pissing off my back) and getting more horizontal.” …would have been better.

Should I continue trying to get lower? Or am I decently close to where I should be?

When coming out of the bottom the bar rolls up my back a bit and creates immediate low back pressure/pain. To fix this I’ve been trying to maintain a tight upper back and thoracic extension.

Again, could be mental, so I’ll keep working on it if I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by adamthebig View Post

Something like: “I’m having trouble getting over the mental hurdle (fear of pissing off my back) and getting more horizontal.” …would have been better.

Should I continue trying to get lower? Or am I decently close to where I should be?

When coming out of the bottom the bar rolls up my back a bit and creates immediate low back pressure/pain. To fix this I’ve been trying to maintain a tight upper back and thoracic extension.

You seem to have some knee slide going on
    Are you actively thinking about stopping your knees half-way down? If you let your knees slide forward it's almost impossible for you to maintain a more horizontal back angle.
    If the bar rolls up it should be because you placed it too high, so mabye you need to slide it down a little bit and narrow your grip as much as you can. If the bar is more secure on your back and you keep your knees out and lock them, the psychological and physical obstacle of bending over should disappear.
    Your depth seems fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by adamthebig View Post

You have zero upper back extension and your grip is exceedingly too wide. You fix that, the issues with bending over and the bar rolling around will go away.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    You seem to have some knee slide going on
    Are you actively thinking about stopping your knees half-way down? If you let your knees slide forward it's almost impossible for you to maintain a more horizontal back angle.
    If the bar rolls up it should be because you placed it too high, so mabye you need to slide it down a little bit and narrow your grip as much as you can. If the bar is more secure on your back and you keep your knees out and lock them, the psychological and physical obstacle of bending over should disappear.
    Your depth seems fine to me.
    Thanks! I’ll work on setting the knees earlier.

I had elbow tendinitis bad and the wider talon grip really seemed to help. I can try to work it in an inch or two.