starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Question Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Male, 46 years old, 6 feet tall, 206 lbs (up from 175)

I've been addressing some issues (especially massive arm pain squatting, which I finally resolved) and was sick for a few weeks, so I'm working weights back up. Most recent lifts:
    Squat: 220x5x3 [I think I'm doing that notation right -- 3 sets of 5, not 5 sets of 3]
    Press: 110x5x3
    Bench: 175x5x3
    Deadlift: 285x5
    I don't power clean because I haven't yet managed to get the rack right, and I wind up almost passing out after every rep. Soon, I'll have to stop deadlifting every workout again and I'll go back to figuring that out.

I'm eating 200g of protein daily, 400-450g carbs, total of ~3500cals. I was at 4500 cals to gain most of the weight, so I probably have to bring this back up now that things are feeling heavy again. I sleep 7-8 hrs a night and I'm generally not greedy with weight increases, though I took the deadlift from 235->255->275->285 over 4 workouts since I'm building back to where I was pre-illness. 275 felt good so I was surprised that 285 was so hard, but this is the weight where my low back tends to start becoming a problem, so I guess it makes sense.

Here's 275x5 last Friday: Deadlift 275x5 - YouTube (felt pretty good but lower back starting to round a bit)
    Here's 285x5 yesterday: Deadlifts 285x5 - YouTube (felt messy and lower back was working way too hard)

Is there anything wrong technique-wise that's holding me back or making my low back overwork, or do I just need to eat more and keep going? Thanks so much for any feedback.

PS: I have bumper plates and 3/4" horse stall mats over the concrete slab. Some day I'll build a platform, but should I be worried at all about the concrete cracking with this setup?

These look pretty good as to back setup. You need to stop fucking around so much before each rep: execute the setup procedure quickly and completely without hesitation, and some of the fatigue you're experiencing will not have a chance to accumulate.

Thanks, Rip, I appreciate it.

I power cleaned Weds and followed this advice today -- 290 moved much, much better. I wish I’d gone for 295.

Regarding your question about the concrete cracking...I used to deadlift in my garage with iron plates and nothing but two of those flimsy "puzzle piece" workout mats under each side of the bar. Did it for a few years and I think the most I ever pulled in there was high 300s, but I never had issues with cracks! I'd say you should be fine with the horse mats as long as you're not dropping the bar from the top.