starting strength gym

Thread: novice squat

Default novice squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    November 9, 2022 - YouTube

first of all thank you very much to the forum users and anyone reading this for taking the time to help me out. I am a huge fan of this community and grateful for you all.

hopefully this video is decent enough quality / view for some assessment. If not I will try to film again this week. Also I am planning on buying weightlifting shoes soon.

Stats: 185 lbs 5'10" 30 y/o, lifted on and off since age 18, have been doing Starting Strength adhering to the program as closely as possible around 10/1/22, have gone from squatting 135 to 225 in that time.

questions/concerns: am I starting with the bar too high on the rack? am I going deep enough? are my arms okay?

recent issues: I squatted 235 last week and got a sharp shooting pain in my high inner thigh / groin area. i have had similar pain in the past (at lower weights) which scared me off squatting. I have only experienced the pain at 235, recently. very slight ache for the next 2 days or so but only noticeably painful during the lift. went back to 225 for this video and had no pain but have a lingering fear when I feel my right thigh muscles working hard. I have had some issues in my right leg - hips, hamstring, etc all are tighter than left. did physio for hamstring a few years ago but i wasn't convinced they really diagnosed the problem correctly. i'm gonna try and do yoga once a week on a non-training day to build flexibility.

You are three or four inches too high.

As the SS boss said, read what is required before posting. No problem observing the young she/her/they in the background doing DL, however, your squats were above parallel, head forward and appears no shoes. Also, did you valsalva? Rack pins are one notch to high. You had to get onto your toes when racking. Poor film angle. Only a portion of the lift is visible. Watch videos before posting and ask yourself a simple question....can those that are viewing my lift see the entire lift from start to finish with no obstruction? Simple yes or no. If you answer NO, dont post. Take another video. Recommend during warmups to "shake out" camera angles and placement to mitigate poor video for critique. Keep up the work.