starting strength gym

Thread: Ugly squat check - 230lbs

Default Ugly squat check - 230lbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Here’s Friday’s third set of squats at 230lbs: 230lbs Squat Form Check - YouTube

I missed reps at this weight on Weds, so repeated it successfully Friday. I see my bar path and balance going forward on the ascent, and I’d expect these to be easier since I was at 250x5x3 a few weeks back, before an illness set me back some. I’d appreciate any advice to clean these up.

I rested 4mins between these sets; I know I’ll need to increase that soon, but third set wasn’t appreciably harder than first, so I don’t think it’s holding me back yet.

About me:
    Male, 46 years old, 6 feet tall, 207 lbs (up from 175)

Squat: 230x5x3 (increasing 5lbs per workout)
    Press: 110x5x3 (increasing 2lbs per workout)
    Bench: 180x5x3 (increasing 2.5lbs per workout)
    Deadlift: 290x5 (increasing 5lbs per workout)

I'm eating 200g of protein daily, 400-450g carbs, aiming for ~4500 cals but falling a bit short — I’ll get it up there this week. I sleep 7-8 hrs a night.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by stads View Post
    Here’s Friday’s third set of squats at 230lbs: 230lbs Squat Form Check - YouTube

I missed reps at this weight on Weds, so repeated it successfully Friday. I see my bar path and balance going forward on the ascent, and I’d expect these to be easier since I was at 250x5x3 a few weeks back, before an illness set me back some. I’d appreciate any advice to clean these up.

I rested 4mins between these sets; I know I’ll need to increase that soon, but third set wasn’t appreciably harder than first, so I don’t think it’s holding me back yet.

About me:
    Male, 46 years old, 6 feet tall, 207 lbs (up from 175)

Squat: 230x5x3 (increasing 5lbs per workout)
    Press: 110x5x3 (increasing 2lbs per workout)
    Bench: 180x5x3 (increasing 2.5lbs per workout)
    Deadlift: 290x5 (increasing 5lbs per workout)

I'm eating 200g of protein daily, 400-450g carbs, aiming for ~4500 cals but falling a bit short — I’ll get it up there this week. I sleep 7-8 hrs a night.

Thanks!
    Not a coach, but this is my advice:

If you're eating 450g of carbs and 200g of protein, you need 210g of fat to get to 4500 kcal, and that is way too much fat as far as I can tell, especially at an older age and after having already gained 30lbs. Mabye start aiming for 250g of protein, keep the carbs where they are at as long as your energy levels are ok and don't overeat fats. Take creatine if you're not already.

As for your technique, you got long femurs, you should be more horizontal than you are probably and widen your stance cause you seem to have a problem reaching depth and generating hip drive (you are stopping mid-way up because you raise your chest). Also get some weightlifting shoes if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Oof, I reviewed that article before posting and made sure I had answered all three questions, and I *still* got the dreaded one-link response. Fair enough, I guess my answers to the questions weren't the right ones.

I increased rest between sets to 5 minutes today, and I ate more protein and carbs through the weekend (around 4500 cals). And sure enough, 235x5x3 moved more easily today than than 230 did on Friday. I guess it works!

Anything else I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Not a coach, but this is my advice:

If you're eating 450g of carbs and 200g of protein, you need 210g of fat to get to 4500 kcal, and that is way too much fat as far as I can tell, especially at an older age and after having already gained 30lbs. Mabye start aiming for 250g of protein, keep the carbs where they are at as long as your energy levels are ok and don't overeat fats. Take creatine if you're not already.

As for your technique, you got long femurs, you should be more horizontal than you are probably and widen your stance cause you seem to have a problem reaching depth and generating hip drive (you are stopping mid-way up because you raise your chest). Also get some weightlifting shoes if you can.
    Thanks for this. You're right -- when I get up to 4500 cals, I aim for approx. 280g protein, 500g carb, 150g fat. I'm not convinced it matters too much what the macros are once I'm beyond that baseline of 200g protein and 450g carb, but as my weight and the intensity go up, it probably does. I have found that I need quite a lot of carbs to handle and recover from heavy deadlifts. And yes, I take 5g of creatine daily.

On the technique, I've been thinking I should lean over a bit more and trying to do it, but I don't see it actually happening when I record. I tried going very slightly wider and more toes out today. I think I hit depth (but just barely) on all 5, but still pitch forward a bit on ascent. I'll cue myself to drive my butt back more to get further leaned over on Wednesday and see if that helps. And those actually are weightlifting shoes: Adidas Powerlift.

Here's today's third set at 235lbs: Squats at 235lbs - YouTube -- I'd appreciate any other feedback now that the 3 questions are (hopefully!) addressed. Thanks!

Thanks for this. You're right -- when I get up to 4500 cals, I aim for approx. 280g protein, 500g carb, 150g fat. I'm not convinced it matters too much what the macros are once I'm beyond that baseline of 200g protein and 450g carb, but as my weight and the intensity go up, it probably does. I have found that I need quite a lot of carbs to handle and recover from heavy deadlifts. And yes, I take 5g of creatine daily.
    My bad, I didn't realize those were lifting shoes.
    Well there is a big difference in eating 100 extra grams of proteins and carbs, and 60 extra grams of fat. It's important where you get your calories from if you don't wanna risk a disadvantegeous body composition.

I hope you get your answers for the technique.
    To me these don't look too bad except it doesn't look like you reach proper depth to me.

Says they read the article then follows up with this:

I increased rest between sets to 5 minutes today

starting strength coach development program
    Oof, I reviewed that article before posting and made sure I had answered all three questions, and I *still* got the dreaded one-link response. Fair enough, I guess my answers to the questions weren't the right ones.

I increased rest between sets to 5 minutes today, and I ate more protein and carbs through the weekend (around 4500 cals). And sure enough, 235x5x3 moved more easily today than than 230 did on Friday. I guess it works!
    Was 5 minutes arbitrarily chosen because it felt like "a lot" or "enough," or did you truly feel rested enough after 5min that rest time in between sets wouldn't be a factor in potentially failing the set?
    To my untrained eye, 5 min rest still feels like way too little rest if this weight is indeed feeling HEAVY for you.

But regardless of my opinion, understand that arbitrary numbers like 2, 5, or even 10min rest are not "necessary enough," or "typical"- just rest enough so you feel confident enough that lack of rest will not cause you to fail the set, then rest another minute more as you set up your camera and walk up to the bar.

After 5min my body does NOT feel ready for another set of this heavy (for me) weight, which is probably why the other poster, siballah, sounded so incredulous.