starting strength gym

Thread: Knee Pain During and After Squats

Question Knee Pain During and After Squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting Strength Forum,

I am currently living in Kazakhstan on a study abroad program for the semester and have been following the Starting Strength program to the best of my ability since the beginning of September. I had been steadily increasing my squat weight until my knees started to seriously hurt around the 100-kilograms. After reaching 105 kilograms two weeks ago I decided to reduce the weight I was lifting due to a high level of pain. The pain is mostly near the front of the knee and includes tightness in the quads and calves. Given everything I've read on the forums and in the Starting Strength book, I believe I am experiencing patella tendonitis due to my poor form. I have been trying to improve my form based on Youtube videos and the written material, but it still seems like my knees are going too far forward and that my back angle isn't right. The pain has been greatly reduced but is still there when I lift. I wanted to see if anyone on here had recommendations for how I can feel that my form is correct without someone actively coaching me, and see what needs to be fixed in my form. I am concerned about upping the weight if my form is still off.

Once I return to the US in mid-December I will attend the Starting Strength affiliated gym in my area, but as far as I'm aware, there is no Starting Strength presence in Central Asia, and I wanted to reach out to the forum for help in the time being. Finally, I apologize for the video being in the youtube short format.

Here is me lifting 85 kilograms (187.5 pounds), which is the highest weight I've done since experiencing the strongest of the pain.
    Squat Form Check - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
    but it still seems like my knees are going too far forward and that my back angle isn't right.

This is correct. Bend over more and don't let your knees go as far forward. Get your butt back to finish hitting depth.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
    I have been trying to improve my form based on Youtube videos and the written material, but it still seems like my knees are going too far forward and that my back angle isn't right.
    Keep reviewing those YouTube vids, record all of your sets, even warm-ups, and try to correct yourself live,on the spot from set to set.

Yes, in this vid your back angle is too upright but it seems like you're intentionally trying to keep it that way, so stop thinking that's what your back angle should look.like.

Also the bar is too high on your back, your head is too upright, and you're not hitting depth of course, since your descent is coming out of your knees vs. the hips. A lot of this you can probably clean up on your own, before visiting an SS gym, if you put the effort into it!

Thank you everyone for the help.