starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Grip Issues and Elbow Tendonitis

Default Squat Grip Issues and Elbow Tendonitis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Recently I've starting developing elbow pain from squats which has made my bench pretty much impossible to progress.

I had stopped filming my squats for about 2/3 weeks for no reason apart other than laziness and dropped the weight back today to check my form and filmed these two angles. It's immediately obvious what the problem (right elbow shooting up) might be but my question is whether my bar position and grip width/shape is fine and it's a case of just cueing my elbows down much more intentionally. I have also been experiencing the bar rolling up my back coming out of the hole which unless I'm missing something is my elbows shooting up and causing my upper back to round.

Also on the elbow tendon pain. I have experienced this before and it's gone away when I've made the changes in grip before in my squat. Could I expect the same thing again if I make the change now or is the pin firing method detailed across Starting Strength the only solution? Are the chin workouts a separate day all on their own to normal training days?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Squat 16/11/22 - YouTube

Squat 16/11/22 (2) - YouTube

You need to get your elbows down more. "Shrug" up with your shoulders and pull down with your elbows. This should get the load into your back more. Bigger issue here is that your knees don't get out enough though. Need to fix that and if you can't do both at the same time I suggest you drop down to a load that allows you to.

Hi Robert,

Thanks very much for your reply and advice. I dropped things back again today and got this video trying to address both knees and elbows. Just wondering if this looks any better?

Squat 18/11/22 - YouTube

Thanks!