starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check for a friend

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Will try to work on the grip, thanks Rip!
    Do it quickly, he is heading straight for a bad case of tendinitis. When he pinches his shoulders together properly, the bar will not seem so low. My guess is he is not pinching his shoulders together at all.

Ok, so my friend is going back up in weight and I tried giving him the advice here.
    His bodyweight is around 93kg.
    This squat looks better to me:
    Squat - 117kg - YouTube

I have a couple suggestions, for what it's worth.
    1) there are hooks on both sides of the rack; set up on the opposite side so you can get a useful video angle
    2) learn to hold the camera still or use a tripod

The squat is good for a skinny wop. We can't see his elbows at all from this angle though. I see a slightly more vertical back / this might be because he is keeping his elbows in the proper position finally, so he is overcompensating his balance, but it is impossibru to tell from this angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    The squat is good for a skinny wop. We can't see his elbows at all from this angle though. I see a slightly more vertical back / this might be because he is keeping his elbows in the proper position finally, so he is overcompensating his balance, but it is impossibru to tell from this angle.
    Squat - 120kg (265lbs) - YouTube

These look pretty good to me
    He seems to be tilting on his left side but it might be an illusion from his shorts being asymmetrical
    I still think he can improve his grip
    Foot stance is wider than his shoulder width but seems to work

He can bring his grip in, his elbows closer to his body and lower them more - the bar is tilting because it slides down from beneath his posterior delt as soon as he starts the set, see how he has to re-grip the bar all the time. Reinforce all the other stuff, knees out, lean over, do not lift the chest. Pretty good all in all. Get the poor man some food, for crying out loud. Don't you have a greasy joint somewhere where you live? He needs a burger as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    He can bring his grip in, his elbows closer to his body and lower them more - the bar is tilting because it slides down from beneath his posterior delt as soon as he starts the set, see how he has to re-grip the bar all the time. Reinforce all the other stuff, knees out, lean over, do not lift the chest. Pretty good all in all. Get the poor man some food, for crying out loud. Don't you have a greasy joint somewhere where you live? He needs a burger as soon as possible.
    His bodyweight is slowly going up
    And since he started he has gained a few kg.
    He has tried gomad but is lactose intolerant and felt sick all the time.
    Now he's eating a mainly carnivore fatty diet but introduced carbs as well. He says he eats a couple wraps a day, fruit juice, rice everyday. I mean it sounds like he eats enough to me.
    He doesn't play sports or engage in other impactful physical activity.
    I think he is getting better
    Thanks for the advice!

His toes look to be pointed out too much but also, his right leg might be longer than his left. Either way, his left knee is not being shoved out and staying out

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Geerts View Post
    Either way, his left knee is not being shoved out and staying out
    Agreed, very visible towards the end of the set, when the camera moves in front of him.
    Also, I would raise those safeties, because in that low position they are not going to help much, should the need arise.

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    Squat - 123,5kg (272lbs) - YouTube

These look better to me
    I think his forearms are just too long to close the grip more than this without rapping his thumbs around the bar.
    I told him to stay in his hips and not raise his chest at the end of the ascent
    His bodyweight didn't change much, mabye he put on a few more lbs during the holidays.
    Also told him to raise the safety pins, considering last time he approached this weight he fell on his ass. And to get larger shorts

Opinions?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast