starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check please

Default Squat form check please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

General squat form check please. I'm at end of week 3 of SS. I've added 2kg to the bar each session and still progressing nicely. Have a history of knee problems (ACL tear left knee, patella tendinitis on both, ITB syndrome on both, bla bla), but no pain felt in this session. Would like a general form check since I'm new. My own concerns are around the following:

- foot placement
    - bar placement
    - back angle
    - Knees going forward and out enough?
    - lower back holding the right angle at the bottom?
    - bar path feels a little wobbly

But since I'm new, any comments helpful.

Squat 48kgx5 18/11/22 - YouTube

Thanks for your time and advice.

Cheers,

N

Some of these are too deep. Proper depth is when the hip crease is just below the top of the patella. Narrowing your stance a bit may help with this.

Be more aggressive with your hip drive up out of the bottom. You are approaching the bottom slowly and coming up out of the bottom too slow.

You basically need to bounce at the bottom to activate the stretch reflex needed to generate more force, be careful to bounce with your hips and not your knees. By doing them slow on purpose you are limiting your capacity to lift more weight. Past injuries might play a role in that as well, with the fear of it happening again.
    Also, you need to gain a whole bunch of weight, so I hope you're working on that

Great, thanks for feedback.

I tried to raise my height and use the bounce today. Felt much stronger. Not sure I've really hit depth though, what's your view? And how is my rack position, foot placement and back angle?

50kg x 5x3 - YouTube

These are better. However, in an attempt to be more aggressive on the rebound, you are over extending your lower back. See how the wrinkles on your shirt change when coming up? Your back needs to be set and locked in as one solid unit before descending. It needs to be extended just not over extended. There is a video of this on the form if you search.

Thanks @Rogue1979. That's useful. I reviewed the videos on over extension with Nick Delgadillo and Brie. Tried fixing my back tight and squeezing abs to lock in place today.

52kgx5x3 23/11/2022 - YouTube

Are these any better? The last rep felt much better to me than the others. I think my upper back was flatter in that rep with my chest pointed more downwards. This seemed let me focus more on the hip drive out of the bottom. Does that look right?

starting strength coach development program
    Better but now you're letting your knees cave in resulting in a couple about an inch high. Still a bit of over extension coming up. Brace harder with your abs to lock in your back. Maybe a tighter valsava too. Your back needs to be locked ridged from the top of your shoulders to the bottom of your butt.

You've gained some good confidence and your set is much more determined. Just keep working at it and you'll get there.