starting strength gym

Thread: Squat formcheck to fix bicep tendonitis

Default Squat formcheck to fix bicep tendonitis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone,

My stats: 19yr. old, 6ft3, 238lb. and been doing the Starting Strength LP for about 11 months.
    Lifts (before injury): Squat - 340lb, Deadlift - 430lb, Press - 160lb, Bench Press - 260lb, Power Clean - 170lb.

My bicep tendonitis started by a wide grip in the squat three months ago and since then I have made my grip narrower. I lowered my weights with around 20% and did not have any pain for some time. When I climbeb up the weights again to 145kg/320lbs. my shoulder and bicep pain started reoccurring. Whith what I have read, the pain should not be caused by the squat even if my injury is not fully recovered, so that is why I am asking on some tipps on my squat form sothat I won't have anymore shoulder and bicep pain during the exercise.

I appreciate any response that would help me solve this problem and any type of advice on the form on my Squat.
    Many thanks,
    AA

Here are my videos:
    2nd Set 145kg/320lbs. Squat Form Check 145kg/320lbs. 2nd Set - YouTube
    3rd Set 145kg/320lbs. Squat Form Check 145kg/320lbs. 3rd set - YouTube

Photos of my hand and back positioning:
    WhatsApp Image 2022-11-25 at 14.23.39 (2).jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-11-25 at 14.23.39 (1).jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-11-25 at 14.23.39.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-11-25 at 14.23.38.jpg

Nothing jumps out at me, but I am no coach. However I recently dealt with the same issue (bicep tendinitis in both arms) and what helped me was to focus on “feeling” the weight on my back, not on my hands/arms.

In my case, a slightly wider grip helped. Are you sure the wider grip was actually the original cause of the pain, or could there have been other forms issues present?

You are not leaning over at all; these are effectively high bar squats with the bar in the low position. As such, you’re still carrying the bar with your hands enough to aggravate your tendons. More narrow grip; lean over and ass back.

Have you noticed anything about your feet?

Hey thanks for the advice, but I already tried that a couple months ago and felt the relief for some weeks, then I noticed that my elbows were flaring up and that made my injury worse. That's why i narrowed my grip a couple fingers again.

Hey @Satch12879, thank you for the advice. I will keep that on mind, but I also need to say that I keep my position more upright because I think my torso is relatively long, and also I have tried leaning over more with my as pushing back, but still felt no relief on my bicep pain. The narrower grip makes me more stable I would say, but I feel like my hands are gripping the bar and pulling it upwards(beause of the high tension from the narrow grip). I don't know if that feeling is right. I personally think it might be a problem with my grip position, or disbalance on the left side(positioning a but more left from the middle of the bar). I appreciate any further advice.

Hey, generally no problems around my feet area.

Your balance moves onto your toes at the bottom of the rep. This means that the barbell (and center of mass of the lifter barbell system) is forward of your midfoot. When the system is not in balance, you are going to work to hold onto the bar (as satch said, carrying the bar with your hands). Also, as Satch said, lean over and ass back will help to stay on your midfoot and will likely improve you bicep/shoulder pain.

The pain will not go away after one work out. Take some anti inflammatory meds and do what Satch said.

starting strength coach development program
    I had a similar problem with bicep tendonitis from my squat. When I finally realized that it was the squat that was the problem, I noticed that when I was really having to work hard to get up, I was pulling on the bar as hard as I could. When I quit doing that, the pain cleared up after a few weeks.