starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right hip dipping far lower than left in squat. 14 months post op hip replacement.

Default Right hip dipping far lower than left in squat. 14 months post op hip replacement.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    HiEveryone!

This is my first time posting here. I’m hoping I could get some good advice about my problem. I am 14 months postop of a left hip replacement. I started doing starting strength on September 9 this year, almost exactly one year to the date of the surgery. I haven’t lifted weights in 25 years and felt I would really benefit from barbell training and my doctor is also a weightlifting enthusiast and a former Division I athlete. As you can see, my right hip is dipping way below my left and some people that I have shared this with maintain that my left glute medias and abductors are weak. I have been advised to stop squatting with weight until I fix this issue. I am 53 years old, 5‘8“ tall and 160 pounds. Really hoping I can continue with the starting strength methodology as I have experienced really great results so far but I’m concerned I could damage myself moving further. Any advice would be incredibly appreciated!

Hip dipping - YouTube

Your right knee is caving in very badly. Keep your knees symmetrical and take another video.

Thank you sir! Will do. Scheduled to squat tomorrow and I’ll take another video.

Hi Rip, here is a video taken just now today 11/29. I’ve concentrated on driving knees out. Think it helps some but still see a lot of dip. Do you think this relates to weaknesses on left side from hip replacement? Thanks for your help!

Hip dip video 2 - YouTube

The second video is intriguing. When you're standing at lockout I don't see a major leg length discrepancy, but the left lower may be longer than the right. Half way down, everything seems ok but then at the bottom, your left knee is shoved out too far, while your right knee looks okay.

At the bottom position, the left knee is higher than the right to suggest a longer left lower leg. Your hips move laterally to the left at the bottom as well. I could be wrong Rip, but does this suggest a short left femur as well? Did Fluckster get a shortened femur with his hip replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Geerts View Post
    The second video is intriguing. When you're standing at lockout I don't see a major leg length discrepancy, but the left lower may be longer than the right. Half way down, everything seems ok but then at the bottom, your left knee is shoved out too far, while your right knee looks okay.

At the bottom position, the left knee is higher than the right to suggest a longer left lower leg. Your hips move laterally to the left at the bottom as well. I could be wrong Rip, but does this suggest a short left femur as well? Did Fluckster get a shortened femur with his hip replacement?
    It would be interesting to see a video from an angle that allows us to measure the forward travel of the right knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It would be interesting to see a video from an angle that allows us to measure the forward travel of the right knee.
    I’ll do so Friday! Thanks!

Last video taken down due to copyright violation �� AC/DC playing in background…

Non copyrighted violation side knee angle LOL - YouTube

You just don't seem to understand the idea of shooting the video in a way we can see the relevant details of the squat.

starting strength coach development program
    Guess I’m gonna have to have someone film it. I train alone in a “panic room” ��

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast