starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good afternoon,

I am just curious on my deadlift form. Shins are about an inch away from the bar at the initial setup and touch the bar when I bend to begin my lift. However my focus is really on the way down. Should the bar ride back down over the knees?

Any input you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Zach

Deadlift form check 12.4.2022 @ 245lbs - YouTube

There's a lot going on here (hips too low, etc.) when you initiate your pull that needs to be fixed, but since you are focused on your descent, stop bending your knees first. Hips, then knees.

Check out this video by SSC Phil Meggers at Testify Strength on this very topic.

Looks like you sink your hips before you pull - after you bend over the hips shouldn't drop much futher (alittle more drop when you move your shins into contact with the bar)

Watch the 5 step Deadlift set up again: How To Deadlift: Starting Strength 5 Step Deadlift - YouTube

Your hips get lower at the start as the set progresses. Note where your knees are in relation to your arms. As you start the lift, your hips rise to the correct spot and you have to pull the bar into your shins to compensate. As far as lowering phase, just get your knees back quicker and set the bar straight down.

Hi Zach,

Ascent: you need to fix your start position your hips are dropping too low. Review the Starting Strength technique video on how to perform the deadlift to dial this in.

Decent: to your question here; on the way down to avoid the bar having to loop around the knees, reach your butt BACK more (at the top), your shoulders will feel more OVER the bar as you target the bar to come directly down back to mid foot start position.
    Starting Strength Coaching in the UK.
    https://www.strengthrevolution.org/