starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

350x5 Deadlift 11/26/22 Form Check (No Short) - YouTube (Black screen at end to prevent "youtube short")

I'm mostly concerned about the back rounding. How bad is it? Not sure if I need to reset the weight to correct this. I think my hip drops too much bringing my legs to the bar. Is there anything else I can work on?

Thanks.

5'10, 195lbs, 25 y/o

Like you said, you're dropping your hips a lot when you set up. Keep your butt up.

You need to set your back a lot harder and hold it as you break off the floor. You may need to lower the weight to a weight you can actually keep your back flat. Rewatch the How To Deadlift video and comparing that set up to how you set up.

Thanks for doing something to prevent the forced "shorts".
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thanks for the feedback. I dropped the weight down to 315 and focused especially on keeping my hips up. I think the hips are better, but I do not think that I have fixed the back rounding yet. Maybe I am still just lifting too heavy. Any tips? Thanks.

315x5 Deadlift 12/9/22 Form Check - YouTube

Your belt is some of the problem.

The Belt and the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe

You are not at all tight enough before pulling. See how in each rep the bar bends as it comes off the floor? That needs to be done before you pull. Lift your chest so hard that all the slack in your arms and the bar is taken out and then drive your heels through the floor. Listen for the click in the barbell sleeve before pulling.

I can’t tell for sure but you might also benefit from a slightly narrower stance.