Thread: Bench Press form check

Default Bench Press form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    26yo
    178cm (5'10")
    ~92,5kg (204lbs)

I've always had some trouble with the bench, it never feels right, even with proper equipment.
    The main problem I see is elbows flaring out on the way up. I think my grip is correct since my forearms are vertical when the bar touches my chest. Mabye I'm going too low?

Here it is:
    Bench - 97,5kg - YouTube

Thank you

Have you tried any cues for the elbows? Sometimes it helps to think about keeping them pointed Forward throughout the set

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Have you tried any cues for the elbows? Sometimes it helps to think about keeping them pointed Forward throughout the set
    I've been thinking mostly of squeezing my lats, I will try that one also. I'm just afraid I'm touching too low on my chest

I think about squeezing an imaginary tennis ball between my armpits.

The problem here is the excessive lateral movement of the bar. You're starting from a position slightly behind vertical to the shoulder joints and ending up too far down the chest at the bottom. This has to be tightened up a couple of inches.

What language are these vicious women speaking? Italian? They are probably your biggest problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The problem here is the excessive lateral movement of the bar. You're starting from a position slightly behind vertical to the shoulder joints and ending up too far down the chest at the bottom. This has to be tightened up a couple of inches.

What language are these vicious women speaking? Italian? They are probably your biggest problem.
    They ARE. Unfortunately the only gyms I can properly train at are Crossfit gyms, and background noise (gossiping, screaming and singing, too) is almost always the norm.

Anyway, will keep your correction in mind, and Jovan's too.
    Thanks!

Bench - 98kg - YouTube (3rd set)

I tried 100kg a couple more times but failed again. So I did 98kg and succeded. Do these look any better?

Put on a belt and use your legs more.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Put on a belt and use your legs more.
    I used to put on a belt, didn't really notice much difference. Will try to focus on my legs more, although I don't think it's the main issue

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    I used to put on a belt, didn't really notice much difference. Will try to focus on my legs more, although I don't think it's the main issue
    No, the main issue is you are not squeezing your lats and keeping your elbows from flaring out. That could be because you don’t have a stable structure to squeeze against. You should be using your legs to drive your upper back against the bench, and a belt helps you do that strongly. I would suggest that if you don’t find a belt helpful it may be because you are not using your legs enough to notice how it can help.

Also it looks to me like you are pushing your head in to the bench. That can give you some neck pain after a while so watch out. Lift your head instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast