starting strength gym

Thread: Press form check and weird question

Default Press form check and weird question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    press 115x5 - YouTube

WARNING the following contains questionable content! Do not read if you are easily offended.

I was sick last week with the flu and missed a couple workouts. I got my 3 workouts in this week but was not at full strength. A weird thing happened this afternoon. After I got done working out I ate some lunch and was alone in the house, the wife was gone and the kids were at the sitter. My wife hasn't been feeling well the last week or so and I had some pent up sexual energy so I decided to jerk off, sitting at the kitchen table. When I reached climax I was stricken with a horrible pain in my abdomen, roughly at the level of my navel, or slightly below. Like a severe cramp or muscle spasm spreading all the way laterally across my stomach. I literally thought I was going to die sitting there with my pants around my ankles. It lasted for about 15-20 seconds. I've never had abdominal cramps, and never had any cramp this severe or painful. It subsided after about 30 seconds and my next thought was I must have had a hernia or something. I felt around my stomach and didn't feel anything. Nothing hurt when i poked and prodded and after a few minutes I got up and was ok. I read online abdominal cramps can be caused by overuse and I thought it might have been due to my pressing in a weakened state immediately prior. The Blue book says presses take strong abs and other than pressing i cant imagine what could have done this. I know this is kind of silly and gross but it wouldn't be the whole story if I was like "yeah I was just sitting there doing nothing and it happened".

Unfortunately I cannot provide any insight into your cramping experience, but the Presses I can comment on.

First, you need to wear your belt tighter. It seemed to actually slip down as the set went on.

Second, you need to unrack the bar with vertical forearms and straight wrists and keep them that way throughout the set. Do not let your elbows dip in between reps, keep them up higher than you think they need to be

Thanks

Onanism is an abomination unto The Lord. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Onanism is an abomination unto The Lord. You have been warned.
    sometimes, I have a "difficult" time knowing if you're serious or not