Thread: 55kg Press (fail 5th rep)

Default 55kg Press (fail 5th rep)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

First the video:

55kg fail. - YouTube

I have started doing "press 2.0" after getting to 50kg with strict press. 55kg today- failed on the 5th rep. I know I'm not doing it correctly- I'm struggling to develop tension in abs/quads and it doesn't feel like a drawn bow (or whatever analogy you care to use) no matter how much I try. Any ideas why I can't seem to do it or any advice appreciated as usual.

Thanks.

You are getting completely loose between reps at the bottom. That pause should take exactly as long as a quick breath, and no relaxation should take place during the whole set. Look at your elbows -- see the slack? Post the vidoe of 51 or 52kg, whichever you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You are getting completely loose between reps at the bottom. That pause should take exactly as long as a quick breath, and no relaxation should take place during the whole set. Look at your elbows -- see the slack?
    Right. Think I've been doing that wrong the whole time, tbh.

Post the vidoe of 51 or 52kg, whichever you did.
    Don't honestly have one. Will get one next press day if you think it'd help, but I have to hold my hands up here and say that I feel like I'm still gonna be too loose between reps.

How many reps did you get with 52k?

3 sets of 5.

Here you go:

52.5 - YouTube

I tried to keep tight/not pause too long between reps. It still feels wrong (I.E. I can buld that abdominal/quad tension with no bar/an empty bar but don't geel it at heavy weight).

I'm thinking of dropping down the weight just to re-learn the press properly. What do you think?

Thanks.

How tight is your belt?

I guess it's tight but not so tight that I can't breathe. I've been trying to get better feedback from it to brace into it so I've been trying out different notches, tbh. I've noticed that, with arms overhead, I don't tend to "fill" it as much as with squats or DLs. This is maybe on the tighter side of what I've been doing....
    Not sure if that makes sense but that's the best way I can describe it. Take it that you think it looks incorrect?

Try it one hole tighter and see if it helps.

starting strength coach development program
    you are breathing at lockout and again at the bottom. Set your Valsalva at the bottom and hold it until the bar is back at the bottom then reset it quickly before the next rep. All that breathing makes it difficult to re-tighten for the next rep.

Make sure that you are doing this during your warm ups and your work sets should be better.