starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check (295 lbs)

Default Squat Form Check (295 lbs)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My primary reason for the form check is because I have been battling tennis elbow in both arms for the last couple of months. Currently, my right arm is worse than my left, but both are impacting bench press (I often wait a few hours after squatting to be able to bench with less pain), in addition to being painful generally when not lifting (harder to lift my kids, etc.). I have tried adjusting my grip, but it hasn't really helped.

Hoping for some general squat feedback as well. FYI I'm 40 yo, 5'8", 224 lbs

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/787701652

I thought it was strange to see a thread on the technique forum approved without a reply from a coach. So just in case it got missed somehow, posting this comment to get it back on the radar

Narrow your grip and get your elbows down. Then stop lifting your chest and start driving your hips all the way through the movement up. Standard squat errors.

Just tried narrower grip. It is near impossible for me to keep a grip narrower than my index finger on the inner rings. Tried the stretches with the bar, and then got progressively narrower on the warmups, but it was so tight that my hands would push the bar forward as I started the descent.

My shoulders are tight (had the right one repaired 10+ years ago), but they don't feel like the limiting factor. I can get my hands narrower, but not while also keeping my wrists even remotely neutral and while keeping palm in contact with the bar.

Is there a way for me to keep the wider grip, or with my wrists bent/palms not on the bar, and not leave my arms feeling like wet noodles after squats? I could barely get my arms up to type this minutes after finishing a set of 300

To add to my previous comment, I just did the 3rd set of 300 with a narrower grip (ring/pinky on the inner ring), with bent wrists, and it didn't feel as bad, but still not great.

Does this look like a position that will continue to aggravate the issue?
    unnamed (1).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyg View Post
    Just tried narrower grip. It is near impossible for me to keep a grip narrower than my index finger on the inner rings. Tried the stretches with the bar, and then got progressively narrower on the warmups, but it was so tight that my hands would push the bar forward as I started the descent.

My shoulders are tight (had the right one repaired 10+ years ago), but they don't feel like the limiting factor. I can get my hands narrower, but not while also keeping my wrists even remotely neutral and while keeping palm in contact with the bar.

Is there a way for me to keep the wider grip, or with my wrists bent/palms not on the bar, and not leave my arms feeling like wet noodles after squats? I could barely get my arms up to type this minutes after finishing a set of 300
    You didn't mention your elbows. Elbows up bothers the elbows. The narrow grip facilitates lower elbows, lower elbows keep elbows healthy.

Sorry, I had mentioned tennis elbow in the original post, but the more I look into it I am not sure that's what it is. I believe it's distal bicep tendonitis.

In addition to getting grip correct (which I am trying REALLY HARD to do, but narrowing the grip sets of the tendonitis), should I also be doing the chin-up rehab protocol, or is that inappropriate?

IF it it distal bicep tendonitis, and it probably isn't, the chins will probably not help.

What physically could cause someone (read: me) to not be able to get a narrower grip with the proper hand/elbow placement? Could a strange forearm / humerus length make it difficult? Is it only shoulder flexibility, and if so how would I know if I have reached my physical limitation? I had a torn labrum (posterior on the right arm) that was repaired 10 years ago and I don't want to do something dumb and screw up another shoulder.

I'm trying to force myself into position, and causing all sorts of pain/issues, and I want to make sure it's even possible. If I KNEW it was possible I would do everything in my power to make it happen...

Are you worried about your elbows or your shoulders?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Are you worried about your elbows or your shoulders?
    whatever I’m doing now has messed up my elbows/upper arms. So I just want to make sure whatever I need to do to fix it doesn’t involve screwing up my shoulders.

I don’t think the normal bar position would screw up healthy shoulders. Mine are currently healthy as far as I know. But I can’t seem to get into the correct position. Will trying harder, stretching my shoulders past their current limits, potentially damage them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast