starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble Maintaining Thoracic Extension in the Squat

Default Trouble Maintaining Thoracic Extension in the Squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Alright, so I'm well aware that my squat technique is severely flawed. They both look and feel utterly terrible. I've also developed some pretty wicked pain in my right elbow / bicep which I assume is related. Here is a video from my last work-out, 5 reps at 200lbs., final set.

I think the main problem is that my upper back is flexing quite significantly. This is causing the bar to roll forward which I assume throws all of the leverages out of whack (one time I even missed a rep because it rolled right over my head). The lack of spinal rigidity is probably also resulting in inefficient force transfer. I've tried various things in an attempt to correct this - narrowing my grip, focusing really hard on keeping my upper back tight, taking as big a breath as possible before each rep, but the issue persists, much to my frustration. I know that if I keep squatting this way I'm going to throttle my progress at best, and probably injure myself at worst.

Therefore, I'd like to know if anyone here has advice. Maybe there's something obvious I'm doing wrong? All input is greatly appreciated.

Well, it's immediate apparent that you're underweight, 2 inches too deep, and not using a belt. Age/height/weight?

27 / 6' / 165lbs. I've put on about 10lbs. since I started lifting, but I acknowledge that I probably need to gain more than that. I'm working on it.

I haven't invested in a belt yet, but if you think that would help perhaps I should. And I'll try cutting of my depth a bit..

So do you think it's simply a body-weight / nutrition issue? I mean, if the answer really is just "eat more", fair enough. I can do that. I didn't mean to imply that I thought "the program doesn't work". I guess I just want to be sure there's no other glaring issue technique-wise that I need to correct first.

You're doing a high-bar squat, back too vertical. Standard squat form issues.

I see, thanks Rip. I think that might be because I'm trying too hard to keep my chest up in order to avoid the back-rounding issue. Maybe that's the wrong way to think about it. I'll try to bend over more next work-out.

Chest up (throacic extension) and lean over (bend at the hips) are two different cues.

Since you don’t bend over enough in your squat, the bar never gets properly gets over the mid foot. I’m the low bar position, the bar starts behind the mid foot, and you need to lean over so that the bar reaches a point balanced over it. You see at the bottom your back angle changes suddenly to get more horizontal because at the bottom, you’re forced to bend over so that bar can be balanced over the middle of your foot. You get a bunch of instability and power leak.

Instead, get leaned over right away, at the beginning of the squat. Set your lower and upper back hard, but lean over right away at the beginning of the movement. This will bring the bar to the correct place, balanced over the middle of your foot. Have you read the book?

Quote Originally Posted by ekurzinger View Post
    I see, thanks Rip. I think that might be because I'm trying too hard to keep my chest up in order to avoid the back-rounding issue. Maybe that's the wrong way to think about it. I'll try to bend over more next work-out.
    When each rep gets hard on the way up, your body is shifting much closer to proper form...because it has to. Between 0:21 and 0:23, for example, things go from jacked up but much better. It's like when a deadlifter's hips rise up before the bar will break off the deck. Physics will not be denied - when it's heavy (for you), you have to get closer to optimal, no matter what your mind thinks about it.

The SS model, good low-bar squat form included, works to optimize your position from start to finish, to enable you to move the most weight. Start there, execute there, end there.

Learning to Squat | The Starting Strength Method - YouTube should help - pay particular attention to the foundational unloaded phase.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Jason and Gio, that explanation makes a lot of sense. I definitely do feel the weight shift forward right when the lift gets difficult, basically after I lose the help from the stretch reflex. So that's where the bar *wants* to be. I never thought about it that way.

I *have* read the book and watched the video Jason linked, and I know Rip repeatedly emphasizes the importance of leaning over sufficiently, but I guess somehow I still failed to internalize the message.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast