starting strength gym

Thread: Forward drift of bar in squat

Default Forward drift of bar in squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have trouble keeping the bar over the midfoot in the squat. In this set I have tried to maintain a more vertical back, because otherwise the drift is more pronounced. Only in the 4th rep the bar seems to stay over the midfoot. Thanks in advance

18 ?????????? 2023 - YouTube

Thanks for sharing. When the bar is over the midfoot, does the weight feel evenly distributed between the front of the foot and the heel? During the ascent, I certainly feel like I am pushing against the heel.

If the weight is properly distributed, you won't perceive it on either toes or heels. It will be evenly distributed over the whole plantar surface of the foot.

During my squats today, I focused on the even distribution of the weight across my soles, and the bar path was just perfect! The only issue was that my descent was quite slow and this killed the bounce at the bottom. Hopefully, in time I will speed up the movement. Thanks again!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by pieza kake View Post
    During my squats today, I focused on the even distribution of the weight across my soles, and the bar path was just perfect! The only issue was that my descent was quite slow and this killed the bounce at the bottom. Hopefully, in time I will speed up the movement. Thanks again!
    The stretch reflex does not solely operate under conditions of bouncing like a rubber band. As long as you're not hanging out for a long pause, you're still getting it.

I've had paused squats prescribed effectively to work on form problems. They helped me understand how much my going for the "boing" at the bottom had me loosening my hamstrings into excessive depth, and I learned that tight > bounce.