starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check - 345

Default Deadlift Form Check - 345

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    345 x 5 - YouTube

What am I doing wrong? It looks bad to me (but doesn’t feel bad). I can’t set my back any further without dropping my hips, but when I do that I can’t pull nearly as much weight. I’ve tried correcting it and having a flatter back, but when the weight gets heavy enough, I revert back to this.

I’m re-running NLP after a couple of month layoff of just messing around in the gym (had a new baby and couldn’t sleep enough to train hard). Previous PR is 365x5 in August 2022. I’ve gotten back to my prior squat PR of 310x5 and it’s still moving well. My deadlift is moving slowly. I’m sure it’s my form.

"Bend your knees till shins touch the bar" doesn't mean "aggressively roll the bar forward with your shins". You're pushing your hips down and completely out of position on every rep. Additionally, your back looks like the letter C. You'll have to lower the weight to one you can pull for 5 reps with a flat back. First you probably have to learn what an extended back feels like.

Honestly, it would be a shorter list to list what's going right here, Mitch. That would be foot placement. After that, you fall apart, rushing through unnecessary movements while skipping important positioning. So you're right, it is your form.

Your best bet is to watch the Five Steps to the Deadlift video, then work through those methodically for every single pull, especially your warmups, which are your practice movements to get you ready for the work sets.

A few other videos are by Phil Meggers - 5 Ways You're Ruining Your Deadlift and How to Fix Your Deadlift. But perhaps most important are his Saturday shorts videos on "How to Deadlift" (the fifth one is linked there, but it lists all five parts, which you should start watching at the beginning).

You also might be tempted to do a massive reset based on some arbitrary percentage in order to fix these issues. Instead, work it through your warmups and identify where it falls apart. Then work from there.

Thank you both. I’ll rewatch and work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcht View Post
    345 x 5 - YouTube

What am I doing wrong? It looks bad to me (but doesn’t feel bad). I can’t set my back any further without dropping my hips, but when I do that I can’t pull nearly as much weight. I’ve tried correcting it and having a flatter back, but when the weight gets heavy enough, I revert back to this.

I’m re-running NLP after a couple of month layoff of just messing around in the gym (had a new baby and couldn’t sleep enough to train hard). Previous PR is 365x5 in August 2022. I’ve gotten back to my prior squat PR of 310x5 and it’s still moving well. My deadlift is moving slowly. I’m sure it’s my form.
    I'm sure sleeping is tough, so make eating easier, you have a bunch of weight to gain.
    You have cheated yourself with incorrect form to a higher weight than you can actually manage safely.
    I would say deload a bit, eat a lot more, correct your form of course, and try to get back to this 345lbs deadlift weighing 20 more pounds, and see what happens.

Let's say you deload to 315 and go up 5lbs at a time 2 times a week (I'm guessing you alternate with cleans every other workout) it would take you almost 5 weeks to go back to this load. So the goal would be to gain an average of 4lbs a week, and by correcting the technique and increasing bodyweight you will see better results in performance and body composition before you even start setting new PRs.

Everything looked good on your first rep until you rolled the bar forward. Remember - the bar does not move during the set up, you set up on the bar. When you roll that bar, your knees are coming way forward and you're dropping your hips. I agree with the gentlemen above, back the weight off substantially and practice form keeping the hips high, setting the back with a more horizontal back angle, and pulling the slack/getting heavy in the hands. Do this for every rep on every set. Be deliberate, take an extra second or two in the start position to feel the tightness, really set the back hard, then push the floor away.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you. I was being careful not to move the bar when I brought my shins forward, but didn’t realize I was dropping my hips and rolling it forward so badly. Deadlifting again today so I’ll try and maintain good form through my warmups and see what I can pull properly on my work set. Will post a follow up vid.