starting strength gym

Thread: DL form check (1x5, 152.5 kg/ 336 pounds)

Default DL form check (1x5, 152.5 kg/ 336 pounds)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squat is going up to 140kg 3x5 tomorrow so it seems like my DL should be higher but this is a struggle and I'm not convinced my back is right. That said I should probably get a form check on squat too because I may be high. Any help appreciated.

DL 152.5 1x5 - YouTube

You are dropping your hips in the setup. When you grab the bar, the hips need to stay put

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    You are dropping your hips in the setup. When you grab the bar, the hips need to stay put
    Ryan, am I right in seeing that that's what's bringing his shoulders back a bit far, right before the start of the leg drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Goodness, just rechecked a SS youtube video and see exactly this. Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by JKnight View Post
    Squat is going up to 140kg 3x5 tomorrow so it seems like my DL should be higher but this is a struggle and I'm not convinced my back is right. That said I should probably get a form check on squat too because I may be high. Any help appreciated.

DL 152.5 1x5 - YouTube
    Go over the 5 steps, slowly.
    Take the slack out of the bar by squeezing your chest up and making your back flat, THEN start pushing against the ground and pull the barbell up your legs. I know you think the bar is supposed to leave the ground quickly and pushing for 1 extra second feels like an eternity, but that's what you're supposed to do.
    (There are many videos on the SS channel about this, for example A Tip for Not Giving Up on Your Deadlifts with Andrew Lewis - YouTube )

Right now you are dropping your hips to get into extension, jerking the bar off the ground and getting into immediate flexion.

Also that belt seems pretty useless. Learn to properly set your back before you out one one. And when you do, put it lower and a bit tighter.

Don't post any more barefoot deadlifts.

Thanks so much all, very kind of you to take the time.

I've gone back and checked the 5 steps and realised how off base I am with initial position and hip placement. When I started lifting again a few months back I thought I knew the deadlift setup - foolishness.

Thanks for the 'keep pulling' cue, that's very helpful.

Re the belt - feels like it's doing something (a lot tbh) but I'll experiment a little. sticking it much lower would place it over the hip bone.

Re shoes - sorry! I squat in converse type flat soled shoes right now until i invest in some proper shoes which i know isn't ideal. Deadlifts in those is better than barefoot presumably?

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post

Also that belt seems pretty useless. Learn to properly set your back before you out one one. And when you do, put it lower and a bit tighter.
    Apologies for double post but re the above I just read this. I may just need to use a narrower belt.

The Belt and the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe

I spent some time working on the right form today. I think I've now got something approaching the 5 steps. The stomach pushed down cue was very helpful. obviously there may well be things I'm missing but thanks a lot for the help. It's also quite light although I was shattered by the time I did this set hence only doing 4 reps.

DL 140kg (340 pounds) - YouTube

Thanks so much all, very kind of you to take the time.

I've gone back and checked the 5 steps and realised how off base I am with initial position and hip placement. When I started lifting again a few months back I thought I knew the deadlift setup - foolishness.

Thanks for the 'keep pulling' cue, that's very helpful.

Re the belt - feels like it's doing something (a lot tbh) but I'll experiment a little. sticking it much lower would place it over the hip bone.

Re shoes - sorry! I squat in converse type flat soled shoes right now until i invest in some proper shoes which i know isn't ideal. Deadlifts in those is better than barefoot presumably?

Apologies for double post but re the above I just read this. I may just need to use a narrower belt.

The Belt and the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe

I spent some time working on the right form today. I think I've now got something approaching the 5 steps. The stomach pushed down cue was very helpful. obviously there may well be things I'm missing but thanks a lot for the help. It's also quite light although I was shattered by the time I did this set hence only doing 4 reps.

DL 140kg (340 pounds) - YouTube
    Feet need to be narrower. Eye gaze a little lower, you're kinda cranking your neck up.
    You're dropping your hips too much, set up a little bit closer to the bar, your knees should end up on the inside of your elbows, not in front of or behind them.
    Think about pushing your whole body away from the floor, not about hip driving like in the squat.
    Finish your pull, which means stand up tall with the bar in your hands, hips and knees FULLY extended, like a soldier.
    Personally I would suggest you learn to use a hook grip so you can keep both hands pronated and avoid imbalances in the shoulders.
    Converse are better than barefoot, but you still need weightlifting shoes as soon as possible.

starting strength coach development program

DL 152.5 1x5 - YouTube
    could you please go to read the deadlift part from blue book again,good luck