starting strength gym

Thread: Failed squat form check

Default Failed squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First off if you see this rip, thank you for your program, I love the program. I’m 17 years of age, 195 lbs at 6’0. Here’s my first time failing a squat on my first set since starting the program. I’ve gone up steadily at 5 lbs a workout and now I’m at a 360 lb squat after about 3 months. Just posting for a check of my form and what may have went wrong;

- YouTube

That's a lot of weight to do incorrectly. Pretty strong.

Hip Drive | The Essentials of Loaded Human Movement

You are rushing the set up. Take your time getting the bar set in the correct position. Take a big breath, walk the the thing out, and get set. You dove under the thing and were walking it out almost immediately. Be methodical with your set up.
    You are not getting leaned over enough as you begin the descent. In order to reach depth with an upright torso, your hamstrings go slack and your knees have to slide way forward, causing your heels to come off the ground. The vertical torso also kills your hip drive out of the bottom.
    Get leaned over early, freeze the knees about half way down, sit back with the hips, then stay in the hips as you drive up out of the bottom. Don't be afraid to stay leaned over during the ascent as you drive with the hips.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That's a lot of weight to do incorrectly. Pretty strong.

Hip Drive | The Essentials of Loaded Human Movement

I know I should already know this but what should we do/what is the cue to keep the bar over midfoot while driving the hips up? While Bre is demonstrating the correct movement without the bar it seems like the bar would be way ahead of midfoot both on the way down and up.
    When the weight is heavy and I really need to stay in the hips,I feel the bar drifting forward of midfoot. And at this point, to get the bar back over midfoot, it seems like I'm opening up the knees, the exact wrong thing to do.